Time to celebrate because it’s finished. The very first version 0.1.0 is out there for Download. After four weeks of intensive work it features some user interface elements, a simple terrain editor with a map imported from the original Imperialism and some of our own artwork (mostly terrain tiles).
The software itself requires a Java Runtime and might be running relatively unstable. Please consider reporting bugs either in the Community Forum or via the Contact form!
If you want to volunteer in the development of the game, please consider registration in the Forum which is the center of the community.
Also you might have noticed that this blog software was broken for some days. Everything is fixed now and working.
…has been shown lately. A task board was created. User interface elements have been designed. The fine tuning of the game content has made progress. And, in general many new posts have been created in our forum.
I expect the programming work to start in october.
The three prominent places: this blog/site, the forum and the googlecode site are now connected in a nice way. This included modifications of templates of each sites. Now links are shown everywhere and this site is the definitive starting place.
Next steps include finishing the specifications, i.e. simplifying and nailing everything into place and then also more advertisement. And then the coding can begin.
We are halfway through the initial design step. As always the complexity of the task was greatly underestimated at the beginning. Wiring economics, military and diplomacy together is quite a task which cannot be completed in two weeks working on evenings only.
However all which we have so far, basically a collection of possible rules and ideas, are downloadable as pdf.
The goals for the next weeks are threefold:
- Melt all the ideas of the design into a coherent model. It’s just a first draft but we need something where we think of that it could work. This will give us reassurance and something to improve upon.
- Derive tasks (coding, ..) from this design model and design the programme. Identify bottlenecks.
- Make the project better know. Improve upon the website. Something I haven’t done much so far. Because of spam attacks I had to lock comments but I would like to unlock them again.
Welcome to this open source project to recreate and improve this classic strategy game!
The project has already been started in november 2011 with a google code page. Since then work has been done on designing the game, i.e. writing down the rules of the old Imperialism and discussing flaws from the old version and how to overcome them.
However the ultimate goal is to build a community that gives input to the project. To get the publicity I setup this CMS (flatpress) which is lightweight but fully functional which is very much the same I want to achieve for this project. And as the central meeting place for the community I also added a forum. Everybody is welcome to join and discuss the remake there.