GOG Galaxy

Anything related to other games.
Veneteaou

GOG Galaxy

Post by Veneteaou »

So the wonderful people of GOG.com are currently beta testing their Galaxy client, that will allow players of older games the ability to manage save games, friends, and other things online. Most importantly, it will give old games a popular matchmaking system, breathing new life into dead communities. In respect to our project here however, it's well-documented that the IMP1 net code was buggy, leading to most all games crashing within a decade or two of starting. Galaxy is going to match IMP1 players into a buggy game - one they can't fix.

In other words, we should have a wonderful opportunity to reach out and grow our project.
Trilarion
Founder

Post by Trilarion »

I don't know enough about this client but if it would allow matchmaking even for games that are not on GOG and if to this end it will have a public API of course there won't be a problem incorporating them. We can also incorporate matchmaking APIs of all other services that we like to have and are openly available. In general I don't think the game needs much of extensive matchmaking - in principle the multiplayer workflow is that one player decides to be the server, then he/she needs to spread its IP address, the others connect and all together start a game, at some point they make a break and continue the game later on.

GOG.com brought Imperialism back and my thought was always that this boosts popularity and interest also of the remake. I hope to ride this wave for some more time and hope that people won't forget the original before our remake is finished.
Veneteaou

Re: GOG Galaxy

Post by Veneteaou »

I was mostly interested in the fact that Galaxy will bring to light how broken IMP1's netcode is, which hopefully sends people looking for us.
Trilarion
Founder

Post by Trilarion »

Yes, let's hope they find us. :)