Introduce yourself

Anything related or not related to the project.
Veneteaou

Re: Introduce yourself

Post by Veneteaou »

Welcome to the project.

Post by Guest »

Hi all!
Great job with the map team!! Very realistic and extended! Looking forward to play this game!! :D
sirkaronte

Post by sirkaronte »

Guest wrote:Hi all!
Great job with the map team!! Very realistic and extended! Looking forward to play this game!! :D
it was me logged off :p

agustin
buenos aires
gamer
Willem

Post by Willem »

thehaxacoan wrote:Hi everyone,

I am another Imperialism enthusiast from Germany. Back in 1997, Imperialism was one of my first computer games, and it will always remain one of my favorites. As a matter of fact, I have been avoiding to install the game for about a year now because it will invariably get me hooked through an entire night, wreaking havoc on my work schedule for the rest of the week :-)

Since in my opinion, Imperialism has one of the best game mechanics ever, but is flawed in its lack of scope and modifiability, I have been playing with the idea of starting a remake project myself. I was therefore overjoyed to discover that some people already started a remake, and that a decent skeleton is already up and running. I am not sure how much time I will be able contribute to this project, but as a computer scientist with substantial experience in developing and implementing various types of algorithms, I could definitely imagine to take over at least one of the more challenging programming tasks. I would especially like to contribute to the modules for transport network computations or artificial intelligence. In the next few months, I will get to know and play around with the existing code, and then see whether I can carve out a nice and managable first subproject for myself.

Best wishes,

The Haxacoan
Seems like a nice asset to me :)
Trilarion
Founder

Post by Trilarion »

thehaxacoan wrote:...
Since in my opinion, Imperialism has one of the best game mechanics ever, but is flawed in its lack of scope and modifiability, I have been playing with the idea of starting a remake project myself. I was therefore overjoyed to discover that some people already started a remake, and that a decent skeleton is already up and running. I am not sure how much time I will be able contribute to this project, but as a computer scientist with substantial experience in developing and implementing various types of algorithms, I could definitely imagine to take over at least one of the more challenging programming tasks. I would especially like to contribute to the modules for transport network computations or artificial intelligence. In the next few months, I will get to know and play around with the existing code, and then see whether I can carve out a nice and managable first subproject for myself. ...
Welcome Haxacoan and you too sirkaronte,

we will always need interested people who can contribute one way or another. Computer scientists are of course specially welcome. I was travelling in August but will make a release of a simple demo version in the next days. Then I might take the liberty and contact Haxacoan by private message if I don't hear from him until then. :)
Trilarion
Founder

Post by Trilarion »

Just wanted to write a private message to "thehaxacoan" but then I saw that he posted as a guest. Nothing I can do then.
Earymgn

Post by Earymgn »

Hi i am Chris from Germany and I am at a vacation right now but wanred to be the 42nd member. I bought imp a long time ago in a game collection and loved it, kept it and install it twice a year. There are several things i dislikes at the game too but I love it ever since. Its great too see this project as i was thinking "there should be a game exactly like this on my Android Smartphone". Well I didn't found a good game but this remakeproject. I am a student in Darmstadt and I study optotechnics and imageprocessing. I have some knowledge oft c++ and Java/Android but they are limited. I really want to help here but I don't know how right now. When I am back at home I will try to find something. Thinking about a techtree for the imp game goods. Hope it helps when adapted for the remake. Maybe i can help with graphics/artwork too. At least i want to keep active and help decide or just for saying "good job keep ging". Greetings Form ko phi phi

Edit: sorry about autocorrected words.
Trilarion
Founder

Post by Trilarion »

Hi Earyman,

I googled "ko phi phi" and the images look great. Welcome to the project. Your input will be very valuable. I'm not sure if there ever will be a version for smartphones although with the source being completely open I guess there are many chances for it. Also since you are studying image processing I can safely advice you to also spent a bit of time learning Python (and the Python modules numpy and scipy and matplotlib) which will surely help you later. Maybe you can learn them even through this project.

So feel free to comment on everything. Actually making a techtree is a really good task. I will update the task list with it.
Earymgn

Post by Earymgn »

Yes please do a task. So I feel a little preasure... Thinking of Python - I bad contact with it but at a very very low base - it was more data/results visualisation and calculate average ect... But i will try to get an overview.

May i ask how many people are actually realy working in this project? Is it just you - the project founder?

Does this forum support surveys?
Last edited by Earymgn on Sat Sep 27, 2014 10:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Trilarion
Founder

How many people are working actively?

Post by Trilarion »

Currently one (me :ugeek: ) is actively working, but I get comments from others. Veneateou is an long term member of the project and contributed many graphics last year. Since then the number of active contributors has always been between 1-3 - a lot of fluctuation going on with low numbers. But we have around 1000 unique visitors of the webpage every month and about 40 downloads of the techdemo every week (although it doesn't do much). So far we cannot convert this to active developers, but I will finish this project, even if I have to work alone the whole time.

So I will add a task tonight about creation of a tech tree (in any documented form you like) and I will assign it to you (to put a bit of pressure 8-) ). It should appear as "in progress".