City graphics

Discussion and contribution to game graphics and user interface.
Forum rules
Posted relevant content can be used under GPL or GFDL (http://www.gnu.org/) for the project. Thanks!
Kyriakos

City graphics

Post by Kyriakos »

Hi,

I could help with some static gfx for the game, i use blender mostly, and these are 3d models, but i prefer to just use a static image of them.

All models are made by me, and currently i am mostly active in the civIII modding community, but always loved the imperialism game.

Some example of my current graphical art:

Regards,

Kyriakos
Veneteaou

Re: New graphics

Post by Veneteaou »

I think your stuff looks really good. I hope you can work with us.

Ven
Trilarion
Founder

Post by Trilarion »

Hi Kyriakos,

welcome in the forum! Please feel free to ask anything you want and feel like home here. :) Your graphics looks very nice. I guess they are part of a really great CivIII Mod. I am also a big fan of CivIII.

However for our game we would need a more modern style, industrial revolution time. So from farming villages to fortifications to big (red brick) factory complexes with large chimneys to neo-classical large official buildings. Anyway the graphics looks really great. Hope that we can work together.

Just two more things:
1. How did you get to know of this place? (Just that I get a feeling where to advertise? :) )
2. What license do you publish your artwork like the above usually? (I set CC-BY-SA 3.0 as the standard for the project's artwork)
Trapets

Post by Trapets »

Hei Kyriakos!

Excellent graphics!

Imho, it's good when we could use 3d renders as primary source for making graphics for industry and infrastructure, also for illustrations of technical achievements. When we combine 3d renders with some overpaint and textures, the the result will be good.
Kyriakos

Post by Kyriakos »

Hi all :)

Thank you for your comments.

I found out this site, recently, from Freecode. But i had once before read of it, although i do not recall where (probably searching for imperialism mods).

Do you have a working set of towns so that i can see if i can replace them? Also in old imperialism the towns were really small, i prefer to make this size (in my pic), but i don't know how easy it will be - or practical- to adjust the city size in the game.

As for securing the rights to the gfx, i don't know how to do that, so if you want to you can explain :)
Trilarion
Founder

Post by Trilarion »

Actually we haven't any set of town tiles yet. You just might start creating your own imagination. Feel free reinvent 19th century european town/city style. I imagine different steps of industrialization, from agriculture to heavy industy.

If you need some inspiration here the old Imperialism. Of course graphics now can be much larger.
Towns in Old Imperialism
Towns in Old Imperialism
OldImperialismTowns.jpg (46.19 KiB) Viewed 14587 times
And about the rights its as follows. Since you are the creator, you have the rights for it. If we want to use it, you have to give us permission. To make it easy for other fans, it's easiest if you also give permission to modify your work or use it in other open source work. However if I were you I would limit usage to non-commercial work. Now the creative-commons license do more or less exactly that. You just license your artwork accordingly but of course you keep all the copyright. You can still always sell it if you would want to we only can use it in free works.

Don't worry. It's a good thing for creative people to have such licenses. Later I will come back to you about this question. :)
Kyriakos

Post by Kyriakos »

Thanks for the information :)

As for the cities, i will need concept art since most of my works are pre-industrial. I can make them, but it will require images to be inspired by, and some time.