Background music

Discussion and contribution to sound/music.
Forum rules
Posted relevant content can be used under GPL or GFDL (http://www.gnu.org/) for the project. Thanks!
Trilarion
Founder

Background music

Post by Trilarion »

In my eyes the original Imperialism was strong on music, especially on the background music. It had that epic feeling and made half the immersion for me. I just loved it. Of course we cannot take it but have to develop our own.

Veneteaou already had a song composed which wonderfully listens very similarly to the original music and kindly licenses it for the project. I named the song "Awakening" because it starts like the beautiful morning after a dark night (Ven please object if you don't like it) and I guess it will be the first song of the Remake Soundtrack. 8-)

Find it here in best quality: Download.

For the game to reduce download sizes I reduced nominal quality quite a lot but almost all people won't hear a difference.

Unfortunately any raw data isn't available anymore and Ven will need some time before he can compose again.
Trilarion
Founder

Style and further development

Post by Trilarion »

So what do you think about how the style of the background music should be for this remake?

Is there anyone also willing to contribute?
Veneteaou

Re: Background music

Post by Veneteaou »

I think for the time being, this one track works. I know in the future we absolutely need more, but right now we need folks to be creating artwork if we ever plan to finish. I've spent the last several months drawing and have perhaps ten tiles to show for it.
ForFunAndProfit

Post by ForFunAndProfit »

I'm kinda thinking along the lines of some of the music used like, say, in Victoria. Timeperiod-y actual music.
Creator

Post by Creator »

Hello.

I have followed over from the Imperialism Forum where you posted your remake. I have found a site I think you may be interested in it is a repository of public space music including MANY of the classics like Mozart ETC. orchestral music for free and free of copyright:

http://musopen.org/

I hope this site helps. It has so many music to pick from for the theme of the game IE Victorian Era
Trilarion
Founder

Post by Trilarion »

Thanks for the link. If somebody wants a specific piece of the music from there included, please post.
Creator

Post by Creator »

hey Veneteaou

I just listened to your song ans it is awesome
Veneteaou

Post by Veneteaou »

Thank you. I did that song way back when for your project. If/when I get a new composing workstation, I plan on doing more. I know the attraction to using open source music is popular in these parts, but I'd like to think that eventually I could get us to a point where other music wasn't needed.
Trilarion
Founder

Post by Trilarion »

Ven, the song you've made already convinced me that in case you produce more of them one day we won't need any other background music. :)
Veneteaou

Post by Veneteaou »

For the first time in about six months, I sat in front of a computer last night composing. I've actually been contracted to do a soundtrack for another game, but for some reason felt more inspired to write for our beloved Imperialism Remake project.

A few more nights, and I will have something new to inspire us.