Background music

Discussion and contribution to sound/music.
Forum rules
Posted relevant content can be used under GPL or GFDL (http://www.gnu.org/) for the project. Thanks!
Trilarion
Founder

Re: Background music

Post by Trilarion »

That will be great. Hearing these news also gives me new motiviation.
Veneteaou

Post by Veneteaou »

https://www.dropbox.com/s/sm2pc2lylrwks ... 0Ashes.mp3

And there it is. It's a short track (0:51 I think) that should make for a good game over music. It might still need work (it has no percussion), so if anyone wants to suggest changes I'm completely open to them.
Trilarion
Founder

Post by Trilarion »

Ven it's already great! It's a grave tune that fits very well to the ending of our game and contrasts well with the other piece. As far as I can hear there are three tracks in parallel: the strings (grave), the flutes and the cymbals(?). I could imagine the cymbals could have a bit even more bright tune, to contrast even more with the strings. But also the headphones I have here are really bad.
Veneteaou

Post by Veneteaou »

Heh It's strings (Cellos), a harp, and a piccolo flute.
Veneteaou

Post by Veneteaou »

http://play0ad.bandcamp.com/

This is the soundtrack to the open source game 0 A.D., which licensed under CC-by-SA 3.0 and usable by us. It's a bunch of great music, and although most of it won't fit our period it might still be worth sorting through to find a song or two that worked.
Trilarion
Founder

Post by Trilarion »

This soundtrack sounds really cool. If I understood it right, they have recorded playing of real music instruments. If somebody can indicate which songs we might want to use?

However in the end I would prefer having our own soundtrack, but then you could use them in the mean time and/or as inspiration. The first song (Honor bound) is already quite good.
Veneteaou

Post by Veneteaou »

Some of it is real instruments. A common technique in modern low-to-medium budget composition is to layer live instruments (leads and solos mostly) on top of sample software virtual instruments (what my music is). Saves a ton of money, and is nearly impossible to tell from the real thing. It's done in probably 90% or more of the movie trailers we see in theaters, as well as in a lot of movies. Musicians, including hard rock and metal bands with strong reputations as skilled technical musicians, do it as well.

I will give the music a listen today while I'm drawing and see if anything meshes with what we are trying to do.