Minor issues / discussions

Discussion and contribution to game graphics and user interface.
Forum rules
Posted relevant content can be used under GPL or GFDL (http://www.gnu.org/) for the project. Thanks!
Veneteaou

Minor issues / discussions

Post by Veneteaou »

I posted the master color palette I'm using here, as a .gpl file. I really would like it sorted so I can simplify it down, but I can't do it in my outdated version of GIMP (2.2 is the best my laptop can handle).

Is there any chance one of you could pop into GIMP, sort it, and then get it back to me?
Creator

Re: Can someone do me a favor?

Post by Creator »

http://www.mediafire.com/?ty2v81pwybjbt99

there we are

I hope I did it right and that I didn't destroy anything. I am not used to using gimp or its colour palette
Veneteaou

Post by Veneteaou »

Heh, neither am I. But that is exactly what I needed, like-colors together so I can pull out the extraneous ones. I'm really hoping to get it down to about 16 base colors for the terrain, or 32 base colors for everything including units and anything else I do.
Trilarion
Founder

Post by Trilarion »

I am curious why you are so keen on getting the number of colors you use down to 16? What is the artistic reason? :)
Veneteaou

Post by Veneteaou »

It's about consistency. Most watercolor artists use a base red, blue, and green only. Then they get everything else from mixing those three, and it creates an environment with a consistency in color schemes. I'm limited on the mixing I can do on a computer, but the fewer colors I have the more consistent the art will be across tiles. If you open that palette in GIMP (I will be uploading a PNG version soon too), you can see that there are about 15 shades of green, and 15 shades of tan/brown. I should only really need two or three of each of those at most.

They still get mixed into thousands of colors, but they mix more consistently.
Taloyx

start-screen - v0.1.4 Demo

Post by Taloyx »

I haven't found any other thread about the 0.1.4-start-screen design, so I want to create a place to discuss about our ideas.

Some of mine first impressions:
[*] nice classic-decayed style of pic
[*] good work when cursor move on "hot-spots"
[*] great sound

[*] overflashed with yellow color
[*] no button-menu - difficult to find out the "hot-spots"
[*]

Perhaps a light background-picture - similar to original imperialism - would be easier to navigate. Or a menu bar like in Version 0.1.2 (first picture: http://remake.twelvepm.de/?page=tour).

What software did you use building up this start screen?
Trilarion
Founder

Re: start-screen - v0.1.4 Demo

Post by Trilarion »

Thanks for the feedback.

It's true that it's difficult to find the hot spots initially, but that's only because I didn't yet come around of marking them more promimently in the image. Later on that will be changed and I hope the need for a conventional button bar will not arise. This is also a common feature we share with the original game (a picture with hot spots as main menu).

Overflashed with yellow color: Don't know how to correct for this immediately. The picture was taken from a public domain scan of a post card from a austrian or turkish palace from that time. Then it was digitally cleared and enhanced by the project member Creator using the software Photoshop. Then I displayed it programmatically in Java and programmed the hot-spot effects - the whole game engine will be in Java and the game data will be in XML.
Spung

Re: Minor issues / discussions

Post by Spung »

for the 1812 scenario upper saxony is mixed with danmark, benelux is mixed with swittzerland and serbia is messed with sweden
"one does not simply clean a spung"
Trilarion
Founder

Post by Trilarion »

Spung wrote:for the 1812 scenario upper saxony is mixed with danmark, benelux is mixed with swittzerland and serbia is messed with sweden
Thanks Spung for the observation. When the scenario gets reworked, these failures should be fixed. What do you mean that Serbia is messed with Sweden? You mean they swaped positions?