UI Feedback

Discussion and contribution to game graphics and user interface.
Forum rules
Posted relevant content can be used under GPL or GFDL (http://www.gnu.org/) for the project. Thanks!
Creator

UI Feedback

Post by Creator »

This thread is dedicated to the UI of the Imperialism Remake. All drafts for the UI can will be posted in this first thread thus allowing people to both view and comment on it. Feel free to post your own UI art or ideas. I decided to create this thread to help me stop cluttering up some of the other threads. There will be a .psd file for all the different sections found in the dropbox under graphics/creator/UI. All drafts will be posted here with the agreed upon version being placed in the dropbox

Scenario UI: The interface for the scenario interface box. This interface will be my bases for much of the games UI.
Draft 8: different buttons; different text color variations
Draft 9: Gold borders and text
Draft 10: Map text gone, Scenario and Information text moved into boxes
Draft 11: More of a texture look to borders and text
Draft 12: Bunch of new button designs; text tiles moved into new boxes; dividers added to scenarios and information section
Draft 13: 2 new metal buttons
Draft 14: new buttons; contrast added
Draft 15: New bigger buttons

Main Menu Background:
Draft 5: Background interface made to match current UI draft
Draft 6: "

Main Menu Buttons: Please note the buttons don't look too good by themselves and look much better when actually apart of the image.
Left Window
Right Door
Throne
Fireplace
Map 1
map 2

Do not hold back guys. If you don't like something say so. The sooner you mention it the sooner I can fix it. Once we are all happy with the Scenario UI I can then start working on the other interfaces.
Last edited by Creator on Thu Apr 04, 2013 6:19 pm, edited 13 times in total.
Veneteaou

Re: UI Feedback

Post by Veneteaou »

I like Draft 4. The only thing I would change is the font (to whatever version of Belwe we end up using or making) and the font color (black is too dark).
Creator

Post by Creator »

sounds good for the font.

What color would you recommend? I am thinking blue.... I haven't tried it yet but I like blue

I guess I will just await on tri to comment before I go crazy on the UI
Veneteaou

Post by Veneteaou »

I'm not sure. Imp1 used brown on brown, or tan on brown, or something similar, but I'd imagine brown tones can go bad in a real hurry.

Give blue a shot, or even a couple of colors, and see what you find.
Creator

Post by Creator »

sounds good to me. So why can't I just download the belwe font from a free source and use it? or is there something that has been decided on this matter?

for some reason I am really in the mood to play imp 1

EDIT: updated with new draft. I tried tan with the font but it just blended into the background. I also tried brown on the button words but that too did not work
Veneteaou

Post by Veneteaou »

So why can't I just download the belwe font from a free source and use it?
It's kind of like pirating or abandonware: the rights holders don't care too much when individuals download it to use it for themselves, but they care quite a bit when it's rolled into a distributed package. Me I'm too picky because I know this is going to be a freeware game that probably won't be huge, but Trilarion raises good points when he wants the entire thing to be Creative Commons or open source or public domain.

I will see if I can come up with a font for us to use, at least for the game alpha.
Creator

Post by Creator »

yes that would be good if you could. Would be easier then doing all the interfaces and having to go back through and change all the font although easy just time consuming.
Veneteaou

Post by Veneteaou »

Creating new fonts is a skill set unto itself, so instead I've found a variety of free for commercial use fonts that I will build a comparison sheet for.

Give me a few minutes.
Creator

Post by Creator »

thanks ven
Veneteaou

Post by Veneteaou »

Let me know what you (and you too Tril) think of these.

Personally, I like Ben Frank, Goudy 30, Mayflower, Sorts Mill, and Roman Bold.