UI Feedback

Discussion and contribution to game graphics and user interface.
Forum rules
Posted relevant content can be used under GPL or GFDL (http://www.gnu.org/) for the project. Thanks!
Trilarion
Founder

Post by Trilarion »

Oh you can code if you want. But I guess it is very fruitful to hear about each other, so we learn what's important and what's not. When designing an UI even artists must know a bit about how the code works and vice versa.
Trilarion
Founder

Essential programming knowledge for designers

Post by Trilarion »

Here another small but not insignificant reason why resizability is important: Look and Feel. I use plattform Look and Feel, because I want the user to feel right at home. But this also means that layouts differ slightly between Windows versions or Linux window managers or Mac OS, ... For example the default gap width between components like buttons in a button bar etc. ... differs ever so slightly between existing plattforms. As a programmer I don't want to take care of it, so I must assume that at least some elements in my UI can have a size I do not know exactly. Other sizes like the sizes of buttons or other custom elements I can have fixed and equal on every plattform. We will now test this in reality and see/learn what better needs to be fixed and what can be resizable.
Trilarion
Founder

Re: Draft 6

Post by Trilarion »

The corner decoration of the elements takes too much space away, can we reduce the size to 50-70%?

The bevel effect of the buttons is nice, but maybe something like a slim plate (nailed) on wood would be better. Especially the transition to the wood feels very artificial.
Creator

Re: UI Feedback

Post by Creator »

no problem with reducing the corner elements.

I was actually thinking that last night as I was going to bed for the buttons.
Creator

Post by Creator »

Uploaded Draft 7 for the UI design. 2 different buttons and also some different text designs
Trilarion
Founder

Re: Draft7

Post by Trilarion »

- Corner decorations are smaller now and I think they look better.
- Buttons are good, only the curved corners are kind of distracting too much from the button's functionality. That's my impression at least. I would make them more simple, more rectangular with less pronounced corners. Otherwise I like them a lot.
- The new text is too strong, it should be smaller and a less dark color. Otherwise it's attracting too much attention.
Creator

Re: Draft7

Post by Creator »

Trilarion wrote:- Corner decorations are smaller now and I think they look better.
- Buttons are good, only the curved corners are kind of distracting too much from the button's functionality. That's my impression at least. I would make them more simple, more rectangular with less pronounced corners. Otherwise I like them a lot.
- The new text is too strong, it should be smaller and a less dark color. Otherwise it's attracting too much attention.
2) Okey Dokey
3) also that is not the font that will be used obviously. but I will implement the changes to make them smalle and try some different colours

With the buttons which one did you like more?
Trilarion
Founder

Post by Trilarion »

The text was more easily readable on the left button. The right button's texture is not so smooth.
Creator

Post by Creator »

yes I thought so to. I was trying some different textures
Creator

Post by Creator »

draft 8 is up