UI Feedback

Discussion and contribution to game graphics and user interface.
Forum rules
Posted relevant content can be used under GPL or GFDL (http://www.gnu.org/) for the project. Thanks!
Creator

Re: UI Feedback

Post by Creator »

Tri. What buttons are we missing on the main menu? I just installed the latest version and I thought the map was meant to be divided into 2 buttons? Are we missing something?

If it is network connection (which I think it is) can we use that picture on the left of all the heads as the button? I know you wanted it for credits but if we did credits on game exit then we could use this part to balance out the amount of buttons. Also I noticed that there is a picture of a pope/cardinal next to the window, we could perhaps use that for something as well.
Trilarion
Founder

Post by Trilarion »

Well, I remembered that we wanted to divide the map into 2 buttons, but then it didn't look nice. I thought we might instead have the map as one button and do the decision (network play/local play) within the dialog that comes up. What is your opinion about that?

In principle you just want to play, so you click on the map and decide later what to do. That was my thought.
Creator

Post by Creator »

Okay sounds good.

Although I am thinking we switch around the "editor" and "scenario" buttons. for me it makes more sense to have the editor on the map and the scenario on the throne.

This will also make the main button right in the center of the screen

EDIT: also can I work on the icon for the game .exe? It will basically be the logo but with a squard border and background
Trilarion
Founder

Post by Trilarion »

Agreed, I will switch map and throne. If you want to work on the icon, do it. :)
Creator

Post by Creator »

forgot to ask. what is my limit for .ico size?
Trilarion
Founder

Post by Trilarion »

The icon should be 32x32. Depending on the system settings of the user it might later be displayed as 16x16 only. But anyway it should look good on 32x32.
Trilarion
Founder

Post by Trilarion »

Creator wrote:okay tell me what you think. Hopefully these buttons are a tad more self explanatory

I wanted to be creative and make some ideas for buttons, but I needed the photoshop files for the buttons. Creator, can be save them in the Dropbox. I would then in the next days make some buttons and then maybe you could also make some and so we can create a basic button set together?
Trilarion
Founder

Post by Trilarion »

Just a small discussion point. Currency symbols. I would either use $ or a small image of a golden coin, because I think these two are the most symbolic presentation of money for games. What do you think?
Veneteaou

Post by Veneteaou »

Imperialism used the dollar sign if i remember correctly, as the game pretty specifically tailored the art style of the game to the United States in the 1800s. Our game from what I understand seems to have more global or European influence in design, but I still believe the era we are simulating is too modern to use gold coinage with.

So naturally the American here wants the dollar sign. :D
Trilarion
Founder

Post by Trilarion »

I looked at Civilization how they do it and in the first three games they just said gold and later they used a golden coin. But thinking about an alternative symbol what about a bill (similar to the 1 dollar bill, everyone knows it). I think that this is better for an European scenario, so players will not feel out of historic immersion. I'm all for having a small graphics and creating an artificial bill.

Also all the other quantities we probably want to represent as icon (trade goods, ships, ...) so it would be consistent style to always have small graphics.

What do you think?