Towards a first complete working image set

Discussion and contribution to game graphics and user interface.
Forum rules
Posted relevant content can be used under GPL or GFDL (http://www.gnu.org/) for the project. Thanks!
Trilarion
Founder

Towards a first complete working image set

Post by Trilarion »

For speeding up the graphical development process we should collect here info about what is needed on graphics, so volunteers can either deliver mockups (functional, non-polished placeholders) or real graphics. I will try to update information about who is working on what. And I promise to use the delivered graphics somewhere in the game soon (in a dialog mockup or so).

Please deliver all graphics either as PNG (in 2-3 times higher resolution than necessary) or as SVG (scalable).

Tile based graphics: (tile size = 80x80)
  • Terrain and resource tile graphics: Ven
  • Cities: Tril
  • Railroads
  • Units: Engineer, Infrantry, Artillery, Cavallery, Tank, Ship - fleet
Icons logo and start background image
- see current release or dropbox

buildings in the industry dialog
  • university
  • government building
  • factories
historic flags of all nations in the standard scenario:
- prussia, russia, england, france, ...

---

the rest depends on the design which is not yet done and ongoing.
Trilarion
Founder

Post by Trilarion »

Just write what you are currently working on. As written above I will get some city images from FreeCiv and then ask Kyriakos to make nicer ones.
Trilarion
Founder

Unit graphics

Post by Trilarion »

Btw. Trapets already has begun working units for our project. He sent me an example and I will use it in the next release where units will be shown. :)

I thought maybe for discussion or just you see that progress is made I post it here. He models the units as svg after the original game units and other pictures. I think we might apply a custom color scheme for each nation.
First unit example by Trapets
First unit example by Trapets
units_work_set_example.jpg (7.35 KiB) Viewed 14031 times
So if you find nice pictures of units of this era or have comments, just give them.
Trilarion
Founder

Logo and Start screen/Forum look

Post by Trilarion »

Creator decided to make graphics for the logo/start screen of the game/forum look. Here is currently working on first drafts and will present them when he is confident about them. :)
Creator

Re: Towards a first complete working image set

Post by Creator »

pretty much what has been said. Originally I was gonna work on the site look but then I was told that you guys will need a logo and a main menu background and now I am hooked :D

When I do begin work on the Logo I will include a placeholder name (IE. Imperialism Remake) just to get a nice title font that really matches the game's setting.

I have finished work on a rough draft of the main menu background picture and released it to Trilarion for some feedback. I am now beginning work on my next draft which I will post here, when finished, for general criticism, feedback, and ideas.

Just to give you guys an idea it will be like the other Imp games main menu in that it will be a time appropriate picture (done up of course) and hopefully the buttons will be represented by different parts in the picture. EG clicking on a map will take you to editor, clicking on the throne will take you to scenario ETC.

If anyone is interested I am working with photoshop CS6 and am keeping the original photoshop image file for easy editing and sharing
Creator

Post by Creator »

OKAY!

Here it is. The first public release for the draft of the Main Menu Background. I would like to thank Trilarion who did a lot of work on restoring the old photo used. The ultimate goal will be for the items in the picture to become the buttons of the main menu such as the map takes you to the editor or the throne taking you to the scenario ETC. Feel free to post comments, concerns, questions, ideas at will

http://img571.imageshack.us/img571/8964 ... draft4.png
Haxaco

Post by Haxaco »

Flags

I've found most flags on wikipedia. Most of 'em are free to use, except the Prussian flag which needs an OK by the author.

Portugal (1830-1910)

Spain

France

The Netherlands

Great Britain:

Prussia (when author David Liuzzo is contacted/properly attributed)

Denmark

Sweden

Austria-Hungary (actually 1869-1918)

Switzerland

Sardinia

Two Sicilies

Russia

* Russia had many different flags at this time, I choose this one as above the 'romanov dynastic flag' purely because it's easier to recognise

Ottomans

Papal States (if it's in)

Bavaria (South German minor, if it's in)

Hanover (North German minor, if it's in)
Haxaco

Post by Haxaco »

Some North African flags. Places like Egypt, Libya, Tunis sometimes used the Ottoman flag, so I tried to come up with something different.

Egypt (1867 – 1881, the other flag is exactly like the Ottoman one)

Tripolitania / Libya (1864–1911))

Tunisia

Algeria (not really historical but close enough)

Morocco (easy huh :mrgreen: )
Trilarion
Founder

Post by Trilarion »

I remember that in the original each major nation had like a coat of arms and a small flag for the provinces, armies, ...

Some here have coat of arms like Portugal, Spain, ... but others as France, Russia ... not.

If we want these coats of arms we should try to find which ones we already have and which ones need to be created.
Trilarion
Founder

Post by Trilarion »

Creator wrote:...Here it is. The first public release for the draft of the Main Menu Background. ...
Thanks Creator. I use it currently and it looks great. Btw. if someone wants to know what it is: It's from a postcard of an authentic throne room in Istria, Austria-Hungary from that time. It's free and it fits perfectly.

http://www.loc.gov/pictures/item/2002710942/resource/