Terrain Tiles

Discussion and contribution to game graphics and user interface.
Forum rules
Posted relevant content can be used under GPL or GFDL (http://www.gnu.org/) for the project. Thanks!
Veneteaou

Re: Terrain Tiles

Post by Veneteaou »

I think that's brilliant. I know that there aren't many (good) tutorials out and the demand for tile based drawing is still there. On the other hand it would take some time for you to prepare it...
Most of the work will be done in the process of completing the full terrain tileset. I already know most of what I want to say regarding symmetry and geometry. I figure this will really help to put us on the map, build a community, and advertise the game. Also, if it was possible for me to post it somewhere on the remake site, I'm hoping it will generate enough links to get this site bumped to the top of the "Imperialism Remake" and possibly top 5 "Imperialism Game" Google searches.

And I really like teaching and helping others.
Veneteaou

Post by Veneteaou »

Alright, I know I've been absent on the terrain tile front for a few weeks now, but I hope these make up for it:

Horse Ranch
Forest 2.0
Fertile Hills 2.0

I hated drawing horses, and I think it shows. Anatomy of living creatures is definitely not my thing. I went darker on the new trees, but I'm thinking I will probably lighten them up in the future. I also made some sheep bigger, as well as toning down the odd-looking brown edge on the hills. I'm going to spend a bit more time working on the Scrub Forest, and then I think I'm done refinishing what is our alpha terrain art. If there are any other tweaks, fixes, or redo's you guys think we need let me know. I'd rather the project look as good as possible before we start marketing it, so anything that sticks out or seems in need of work should be shown to me as soon as possible.

Then it's on to overlays.
Veneteaou

Post by Veneteaou »

And we now have Swamp 2.0

I decided that the biggest problem with the first run was that it stuck out too much next to Tundra and Desert tiles. So I took out the doofy plant life, scaled the whole thing back to break up the square shape of the first tile, and am done with it unless somebody wants me to change it.

Overlays here I come.
Trilarion
Founder

Post by Trilarion »

Hmm, I would say that the sheep are better but the trees not. They are too dark and too colorful and somehow do not fit. Just see:

For the continous terrain I am programming a tool currently that given two files show how they look in continuous view. So don't worry about continuity now. :)
Old
Old
Clipboard01.jpg (58.08 KiB) Viewed 10725 times
New
New
Clipboard02.jpg (53.83 KiB) Viewed 10725 times
Veneteaou

Post by Veneteaou »

So the trees need to be a bit brighter yet faded? I can do that. What I really like about the new tree tile more than anything else is the way the trees are populated on the tile - really breaks up the tiling.

I will work on them a bit, starting Wednesday.
Veneteaou

Post by Veneteaou »

I uploaded a brighter version of the forest tile here. Le me know if it needs any more tweaks.
Trilarion
Founder

Post by Trilarion »

Clipboard01.jpg
Clipboard01.jpg (53.73 KiB) Viewed 10685 times
The new forest looks good. Let's wait with further iterations until continuous terrain arrives. :)
Veneteaou

Post by Veneteaou »

I can't help but feel like someone used a bad pencil eraser on that scrub forest tile... Or maybe they put a cigarette out on it. Anyway it's next on my list - our next release pics need to look good.
Creator

Post by Creator »

so just out of curiosty, cause I keep hearing about it, what is this continious tile thing you guys are so amped for? how does it differ from what we currently use (whatever that may be)?

also, All the tiles are looking great, im loving it
Veneteaou

Post by Veneteaou »

Our full thread on Continuous terrain is here (viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1069&start=10 just scroll down and look at pictures), but the idea is that I am going to draw a second tile of each type, which can be used whenever two tiles of the same terrain type are next to each other. Instead of several adjacent mountain tiles, we get a mountain range; instead of adjacent forest tiles, we get a larger forest. Trilarion is cutting tiles into six triangles, which the pictures in that link will explain. Until he does so, I don't have any way of testing or showing off any continuous artwork I come up with, so I haven't really worked on it.

But it's going to be sexy.