Terrain Tiles

Discussion and contribution to game graphics and user interface.
Forum rules
Posted relevant content can be used under GPL or GFDL (http://www.gnu.org/) for the project. Thanks!
candyking

Re: Terrain Tiles

Post by candyking »

Ven, your tiles looks just great, they really capture the feeling of the old Imp1! Will there be a city screen with the same atmosphere as in imp1 also?
Veneteaou

Post by Veneteaou »

Right now I'm working on terrain, followed by civilian units and pretty much everything else that happens on the main screen. Once that is done, I was planning on getting to work on the 4 screens (transport, industry, trade, and diplomacy) unless the team decides to take those in a different direction.
Trilarion
Founder

More Inspiration

Post by Trilarion »

Here some more inspiration for mountains for my favorite strategy game (Civ III). They look like they have been created by some kind of 3D renderer, but maybe they can be used as inspiration.
Civ3Mountains.jpg
Civ3Mountains.jpg (39.31 KiB) Viewed 11141 times
Civ3Mountains2.jpg
Civ3Mountains2.jpg (12.62 KiB) Viewed 11141 times
Veneteaou

Post by Veneteaou »

Sorry I haven't posted in a while, my family and I all got sick around the same time and I've been unable to do anything but sleep when I have free time.

I like those tiles, and yes they are definitely 3D models rendered into 2D tiles. That said, I'm pretty sure I could make use of the shapes/shadowing with my existing color palette to get something working. Give me a few days and I will get something done to show everyone.
Trilarion
Founder

Post by Trilarion »

No problem, the next release is scheduled for beginning of january and then I would include a mountain tile from you if it is available.
Veneteaou

Post by Veneteaou »

Took another stab at mountains, and again they come out looking awful. I think I need to find a new approach, because trying to make shadows happen isn't progressing for me.
Veneteaou

Post by Veneteaou »

Updated the Cotton Fields and Hills tiles. The earlier versions just didn't fit with the art style I've been going for. I'm going to bite the bullet and just release a mountain tile and move on. If anything, I can come back to it later once I've had a chance to grow a bit as an artist.

I'm migrating my workstation to Linux to make use of some better software (Krita, and I have to get used to Blender for some other projects), so hopefully I will get rolling on that in the next few days. After that, expect to see a lot of progress.

Eric
Trilarion
Founder

Post by Trilarion »

Thanks for the updated tiles. Especially the new hills look better, for the cotton field something in between the first and the second version might be good since the new version seems to be a bit too blurred.

If you run out of work: scrub forest, sheep, ore, oil, coal is also wanted still.

And if we are at this stage, to have bit more diversification - the programm allows to have alternative images for the same terrain. For example a forest that is a bit darker (spruce and fir trees) for nothern europe, a plain tile that is a bit less green for southern europe, a darker sea tile (for deep water/ocean). That would be cool. 8-)
Veneteaou

Post by Veneteaou »

Before we get to multiple images for the same tiles, we need to determine if we want to do the work to overlay some continuous terrain. If so, then I really need to do those first.
Veneteaou

Post by Veneteaou »

So, turns out Krita is useless for what I want to do (unless I feel like coding my own watercolor engine and making my own brushes). That's okay, I found a workaround that should save me a bit of time in MyPaint to make up for it.

I am currently trying to correct the blurriness of the hills tile, which I'm planning on finishing tonight.