Terrain Tiles

Discussion and contribution to game graphics and user interface.
Forum rules
Posted relevant content can be used under GPL or GFDL (http://www.gnu.org/) for the project. Thanks!
Trilarion
Founder

Re: Terrain Tiles

Post by Trilarion »

Nice idea. I'll make a note. If you want and have some time, why not give it a try yourself and show it here.
pikovich

Post by pikovich »

sry my photoshop skills aren not very good.... and this was just a 10 min work...... for tryout^^

But i think with some skills and a little bit of love.... it could get very good results....

Greetings.

Edit: ok.... try 2 failed..... XD

Maybe a good idea:

Make Farm tiles.... where you have to decide one time what you wanna upgrade to produce.... Sheeps or plants => More industry....
Trilarion
Founder

Post by Trilarion »

The problem I see is that in order to stay visible you need to enlarge the sheeps and the farmhouse because there are soo many details. But then the proportions will be wrong and the graphics style of the map might look a bit cartoonish. Handmade drawings have the advantage that you can give the impression of a real perspective and proportion. You can more easily have a mountain range, a flock of sheep, big fields around a farmhouse.

But I leave the style of the graphics to the artists. And of course there can also aways be more than a single graphics tile set...
Veneteaou

Post by Veneteaou »

It's been a while:
map.png
map.png (234.62 KiB) Viewed 14723 times
Right-click and select "View Image" so it scales down closer to game tile size.

This is just horizontal tiling. Once I get vertical done I will get the tile uploaded. I've also decided to stop stressing over every little tweak in the first iteration of tiles - it's far more important to finish the artwork than it is to spend the rest of my life tweaking terrain tiles. No matter what, they aren't going to look like they were done by a real artist anyway. I'm wrapping up terrain, resource, and unit tiles, and then I'm moving to buttons and sliders for the Transport, Trade, and other screens. Essentials first.

I'm also trying to secure software and a setup so I can work on music again, specifically for this project.
Veneteaou

Post by Veneteaou »

(Redacted)
Last edited by Veneteaou on Thu Sep 25, 2014 4:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Veneteaou

Post by Veneteaou »

Well crap there is an error with clipping. Eh, I'm going to fix it tonight hopefully.
Veneteaou

Post by Veneteaou »

Alright let's try that again. Continuous Mountains:
map.png
map.png (156.76 KiB) Viewed 14718 times
On to Grain Fields, orchards, Hills, Swamp, Desert, and Cotton Fields. That will wrap terrain.
Andrettin

Post by Andrettin »

Veneteaou wrote:Alright let's try that again. Continuous Mountains:
map.png
Looks good :)
Trilarion
Founder

Mountain tiles continuous terrain

Post by Trilarion »

Here is how it would look like:
Clipboard01.jpg