Terrain Tiles

Discussion and contribution to game graphics and user interface.
Forum rules
Posted relevant content can be used under GPL or GFDL (http://www.gnu.org/) for the project. Thanks!
Veneteaou

Re: Terrain Tiles

Post by Veneteaou »

That is a lot of fun to play with.

I'm sitting here using the tundra tiles, and I'm already wondering if these more solid tiles (Tundra, desert) are going to be doable in just two tiles. I don't remember the exact number for Tundra, but I know Imp1 had 5 desert tiles. It's going to be incredibly hard to get rid of those green areas you speak of while still maintaining decent continuity between a simple connection of two diagonally-joined tiles. I think I will shelf Tundra for the time being, and work on some of the more straightforward tiles first. And I need to play some Imperialism again.

Trilarion, we might need a way to randomly place the inner tiles, when there are more than one of them. If we have four or more tiles of the same type in a row, we might need to be able to place two different tiles on the inside. Something we should assess once I get these first ones done.

Still, fun toy for me to play with.
Trilarion
Founder

Post by Trilarion »

Randomly placing inner tiles should not be a big problem. Only I wouldn't really include them in the Tile-Tester but only in the main programm.
Veneteaou

Post by Veneteaou »

Figured a couple of you might be interested in a teaser:
Attachments
Forest teaser_e0.jpeg
Forest teaser_e0.jpeg (25.57 KiB) Viewed 13498 times
Trilarion
Founder

Post by Trilarion »

Nice, I already like it. Continuous mountains would also be very interesting. :)
Veneteaou

Post by Veneteaou »

Continuous Forest. You will see some pretty ugly patterns coming out of it, but for now it will do. A definite improvement over base tiles. Between looking at the results here, and looking back over Imp1 screenshots, I've discovered an important factor in breaking up patterns:

- If objects are clumped together (like my trees), they will leave ugly patterns when tiled, even with continuous tiles. It's something that has to go into the design of the base tile - no amount of tweaking the continuous tile will resolve it.
- Breaking up patterns can also be done by placing objects in the base tile along the diagonals. They will mask the fact that, due to cutting triangles on the diagonals, I can't draw objects across them in the continuous tile. If anyone needs this explained, I can draw a picture.

I'm going to work on finishing a first set, and then see where we need improvements. Seems like it's just you and me Trilarion (unless everyone just took the summer off), so I'd rather get something together for the other screens than sit around tweaking terrain for the next year.
Attachments
Continuous Forest.png
Continuous Forest.png (345.09 KiB) Viewed 13488 times
Trilarion
Founder

Post by Trilarion »

Veneteaou wrote:...- Breaking up patterns can also be done by placing objects in the base tile along the diagonals. They will mask the fact that, due to cutting triangles on the diagonals, I can't draw objects across them in the continuous tile. If anyone needs this explained, I can draw a picture. ...
I think I understand what you mean because I thought about the same things. Basically everything that is in the base tile must also be in the continuous tile. But in the continuous tile there must be more, however not extending over a cutting border. But if you like you can also draw me a picture. :)
Veneteaou

Post by Veneteaou »

Working with continuous mountains right no. I might have to redo the base mountain tile. Either that, or I have to do a hell of a job creating the mountain/hill continuous tiles.

Expect something this week. Starting Friday if I can swing it, I'm going to start sprinting as well. I want this project playable somewhere around next summer, so I have quite a bit of work to do.
Trilarion
Founder

Post by Trilarion »

Sounds good to me.
YD_

Post by YD_ »

M.b. you will find this useful.
http://opengameart.org/content/land-tileset
Trilarion
Founder

Post by Trilarion »

YD_ wrote:M.b. you will find this useful.
http://opengameart.org/content/land-tileset
Sorry for replying that late. I didn't receive a notification about that. Thank you for the link. It looks like a lot of variation in the border shapes.