Research

Discussion on game mechanics, balancing etc.
Forum rules
Posted relevant content can be used under GPL or GFDL (http://www.gnu.org/) for the project. Thanks!
visitor

Re: VI. Research

Post by visitor »

I have to say that I liked the Imperialism 1 technology system.

Let's examine Gatling Gun:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Jordan_Gatling

Gatling was inventor that made money with his inventions. He was not scientist that worked for the nation / government.

I think the Imperialism 1 style makes more sense than Imp2 or Civilization style science and scientists. According to my understanding in ww2 at least Hitler had army of scientists working for the nation, and other major powers ofcourse did the same. Before that, I see that it has been more like individual inventors that have pushed the technology level forward. And today it still is individual inventors and big companies that patent and buy new inventions.

Only fix I would add to the Imp1 system is to make the price of techs go down slowly. Army of scientists working on a spinning jenny? No, I prefer the Imp1 style.

About spinning jenny from wikipedia. Good and funny read:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spinning_jenny

Hargreaves kept the machine secret for some time, but produced a number for his own growing industry. The price of yarn fell, angering the large spinning community in Blackburn. Eventually they broke into his house and smashed his machines, forcing him to flee to Nottingham in 1768. This was a centre for the hosiery industry, and knitted silks, cottons and wool. There he set up shop producing jennies in secret for one Mr Shipley, with the assistance of a joiner named Thomas James. He and James set up a textile business in Mill Street. On 12 July 1770, he took out a patent (no. 962) on his invention, the Spinning Jenny—a machine for spinning, drawing and twisting cotton.[11][12] By this time a number of spinners in Lancashire were using copies of the machine, and Hargreaves sent notice that he was taking legal action against them. The manufacturers met, and offered Hargreaves £3000. He at first demanded £7000, and stood out for £4000, but the case eventually fell apart when it was learned he had sold several in the past.
Trilarion
Founder

Re: Research

Post by Trilarion »

My current proposal for the research is to have a number of techs and put them into categories. These categories do not mean that there is a tech tree. The availability of a tech is still determined by the year of appearance. However the different categories shall be: Military-Naval (MN), Military-Land (ML), Economical (E), Diplomatic (D), Resources non-food (R), Food (F).

Possible techs for the MN, ML area:

Light warship II, Light warship III requiring Light warship II
Heavy warship II, Heavy warship III requires Heavy warship III
Militia II
Infantry II ("Breech loading rifle", IY 1848) [image of a Dreyse needle gun as background]
Infantry III ("Machine gun", IY 1880) requires Infantry II
Artillery II
Artillery III requires Artillery II
Cavallery II
Cavallery III ("Tanks", IY 1900) requires Cavallery II
+1 Militia per province
+2 Units per battle
-10% Upkeep ("Nationalism")
-10% Training costs
5% trickleback of casualties
+5% experience of trained soldiers ("Military school")

Possible names: Streamlined Hulls, Bessemer Converter, Rifled Artillery, Steel armor plate, Gunpowder, Canon, Artillery, Geography and map making, Construction of turbine propeller, Colt gun, Morse code, Rifles invented, Internal combustion machine, Diesel machine, Telephone (better communication, efficiency)

Possible techs for the E,R,F area:

Light merchant ship II
Light merchant ship III requires Light merchant ship II
Heavy merchant ship II ("Paddlewheel")
Heavy merchant ship III requires Heavy merchant ship II
Apple resources II
Apple resources III requires Apple resources II
Wheat resources II ("Windmill")
Wheat resources III requires Wheat resources II
Meat resources II
Meat resources III requires Meat resources II
Wood from forest II
Wood from forest III requires Wood from Forest II
Oil well II
Oil well III requires Oil well II
Ore mine II ("Square set timbering")
Ore mine III requires Ore mine II
Coal mine II ("Coal extraction")
Coal mine III requires Coal mine II
Silver mine II
Wool&Cotton resource II
Wool&Cotton resource III requires Wool&Cotton resource II
Railroad possible on swamps and hills ("Iron railroad bridge")
Railroad possible into mountains ("Dynamite") requires Railroad possible on swamps and hills

Possible names: Jenny Speed invented: Wool from sheep, Better transport wagons: More efficient wagons, Better pump for mines: More efficient mines, Steam engine, high pressure: Enables railroad building, Seed Drill: Improve grain farms and orchards to level 1, Cotton Gin: Improve cotton plantations to level 1, Iron Railroad bridge: Cross swamp, enable forester who can improve hardwood forest to level 1, Feed Grasses: Enables rancher who can improve wool farms and livestock ranches to level 1, Industrial revolution, Better canned food, Gas lamps: better mines and workers more efficiently , Cement improved, Electric generator: town upgrade?, Chemicals for farmers, Sewing machine, Elevator: mines to level 3, Oil drill, Dynamite: Improved railroad, Electric light: Mines and city upgrade, Car with combustion machine

Possible techs for the D area:

+5% influence creation with minor nations
+5% efficiency of propaganda ("Radio/Newspaper")
+5% efficiency of research ("National elite university")

Higher tech efficiency, higher cultural ranking, more diplomatic influence
Propaganda: Increases influences, gives special unit spy?
India discovered: Bonus for first
Radio 1901
Better relation favors nations in trade
mongo

Post by mongo »

I try to build up a graph for any unit/resource depending on a time-flag and a parent e.g.

Infantry I (available at start) -> Infantry II ("Breech loading rifle", requires Infantry I, IY 1848) -> Infantry III ("Machine gun", requires Infantry II, IY 1880)

I suggest, like Trilarion to keep the "pay money" system as it was in the original imperialism for the beginning. This system can be easily adjusted to something like:

e.g. Infantry II cost (1000 gold) pay 200 gold per turn and you get it in 5 turns

University I (research) cost 1000 gold and reduces the research time by 10%
University II 2000 gold -> 20%
University III 5000 gold -> 30%
University IV 10000 gold -> 40%
University V 25000 gold -> 50%

We obviously have to search for historical important "research" dates
Trilarion
Founder

Post by Trilarion »

mongo wrote:I try to build up a graph for any unit/resource depending on a time-flag and a parent e.g. ...
Thanks for doing that. I'm looking forward to any results/discussions that may come out. :)
mongo

Post by mongo »

With the summer gone, I'm returning to the game ;)

The last few evenings I've finished an Excel-sheet combining the research with historical events/inventions which mainly Veneteaou gave us.

I hope I will find some time for programming this autumn.

best
Mongo
Attachments
imp1_remake.xlsx
(13.32 KiB) Downloaded 441 times
imp1_remake.ods
(11.15 KiB) Downloaded 490 times
Trilarion
Founder

Post by Trilarion »

That looks like a very good template for the research. Thanks for the work. I will get down to study it in detail soon.