Diplomacy

Discussion on game mechanics, balancing etc.
Forum rules
Posted relevant content can be used under GPL or GFDL (http://www.gnu.org/) for the project. Thanks!
Alias72

Re: V. Diplomacy

Post by Alias72 »

I have an idea for a diplomacy system in case your interested.

every nation has economic, military, and political influence. it also has an affection meter.

Types of Influence:

economic influence increases as a result of trading with a nation, as well as foreign investment. this factor encourages lower tariffs, and a lower price for foreign investments (a swell as being allowed to invest.) and encourages increased investment by the influenced nation

military influence increases as a result of military cooperation in war. foreign troops stationed in the nation during a war, and troops stationed in a nation as a peacetime occupation force. having a high military influence allows you to station troops in a nation, as well as determines the likelihood that that nation will join you in a military conflict

political influence is the base influence and is used to determine whether or not an action against the nation is successful. political influence may be spent to gain military or economic influence. political influence is gained whenever military or economic influence increases without the use of threats. additionally political influence can be bought.

affection is used to determine the relative success or failure of a standard action. a high affection increases the effect of every action taken, while a low affection can cause a negative effect. affection increases gradually, but regenerates lower when relations are poor.

Threats: *the success or failure of a threat is based on relative strength. if the military influence of a foreign power is great compared to the military of the nation then the chance of military threats succeeding are high. the affection cost is high, however.

nations with a high military influence in a nation may threaten the nation to gain political or economic influence. this negatively effects affection and military influence.

nations with a high economic influence may threaten the nation to gain military or political influence. this negatively effects affection and economic influence.
Trilarion
Founder

Re: V. Diplomacy

Post by Trilarion »

I like the ideas although several questions remain open like for example: Military influence is described as result of military cooperation but then political influence can be converted to military influence too? Or where does political influence come from? Then it seems you see influence as a quantity that can be used to achieve something while in the original game is was a quantity that just allowed things or increased chances of trades. It would mean a considerable change, although probably to the better when implemented right. Having economic, military and political influence and additionally affection is already quite a complex system. Nevertheless when we extend diplomacy we might want to have such things, so thanks for the feedback!

My ideas for diplomacy currently evolve about declaring war and peace and alliances. In the original you just declared war independent of the current relations and a peace offer was unconditional, i.e. you just kept what you gained or lost during the war. Also you could not make peace negotiations between more than two nations, e.g. when members of an alliance fought other nations or alliances.

In particular I wonder if alliances when a partner declared war and you did so too also required you to wait with peace negotiations or could you declare war and make peace shortly after. This would really not be well designed behavior and prone to misuses or illogical decisions.

So I want to have a simple but meaningful system of alliances and war and peace declarations. This is really tricky. Basically I would like to include some hard limits like a war must last at least 5 turns and a peace must last at least 5 turns, so these declarations become meaningful. For alliances I would incoporate some additional economic gains (synergies because of stronger ties and better cooperation) so that it is a value of being in an alliance by itself. Only I'm not sure what the gain should be (something like easier and more trade).