Mac OS tester needed

Help with installation and running.
Trilarion
Founder

Mac OS tester needed

Post by Trilarion »

I would need a Mac OS tester, because I cannot test the game there. It would need to be someone who has a computer running Mac and is willing to do some testing as well as reporting log files and such things. :)
biza

Re: Mac OS tester needed

Post by biza »

Hi, the game (0.1.4) starts on mac OS X 10.7.5, but I choose game center-> single->europe->start and then window closes and image with menu rests. If I go in game center->single game again there is no europe scenario so i guess I'm doing something wrong, or starting scenario is broken....

Cheers!
Veneteaou

Post by Veneteaou »

Biza,

Our programmer is on vacation for the next few weeks, but your input will be very valuable to him once he returns.

Thanks,

Veneteaou
Trilarion
Founder

Post by Trilarion »

Hi biza,

thanks for the feedback. I'm afraid but it seems that nothing is wrong and everything is working as it should be. The game is in a very early stage and the scenario screen is only half finished, even the game rules aren't completely fixed. The download is mostly a showcase of what we imagine so far. Look at the editor for a continuous terrain tile display.

However your feedback has been very helpful to me! Hope to see you again when the project has progressed more and newer versions have been released.
TheImp

Post by TheImp »

I can confirm that the python version runs on OS X 10.9 after installing PySide/Qt. At this moment, it doesn't do to much though :mrgreen:
Trilarion
Founder

Post by Trilarion »

Thanks for the information. I will also need someone to generate MAC OS packages. But more in the future because as you mentioned correctly, it isn't doing much currently. :)
TheImp

Post by TheImp »

Short Update: Since this is a Python 3.3 project, the PySide provided by Qt I linked to above won't work. To get the Remake running, you have to install Python 3 and Qt. There are (at least) two ways to do this:
  • You install the latest Python 3 release and Qt 4.8. After that, you fire up the Terminal app and type

Code: Select all

pip3 install PySide

Theoretically this should install a precompiled version of PySide, but that may fail and instead will start a new compilation which may take a while. You have to have Developer Tools installed then, of course.
  • The other way involves macports. If you have it installed, you can install PySide with

Code: Select all

sudo port install py34-pyside
    It will take care of all other stuff like Python and Qt by itself. Sadly, currently this version of PySide misses the Phonon binding, and at this time, you have to modify the Remake source a bit to make it work.
Trilarion
Founder

Post by Trilarion »

Uh, that is not that good and also quite a surprise. Could you test if PyQt is easier to install on a Mac? If so I might just switch the Qt binding.
TheImp

Post by TheImp »

Trilarion wrote:Uh, that is not that good and also quite a surprise. Could you test if PyQt is easier to install on a Mac? If so I might just switch the Qt binding.
I can test PyQt this weekend if you wish, but installing PySide wasn't too hard in my opinion since pip takes care of the whole compiling stuff, it justs need some time ;) The problem is that the Qt guys provide a precompiled PySide for Python 2.7 only, which is the version shipped with 10.9. I still use 10.6 with Python 2.6 as the system installation on my main machine, so sooner or later I would have run into trouble anyway.
Having said that, I think I read somewhere that PySide was quite shaky when not wrapping the exact Qt version it was compiled against, and it would be better to compile it yourself anyway.
TheImp

Post by TheImp »

Took a short look at PyQt, and it looks even more complicated than PySide if you aren't on Windows. While it should be possible to install a precompiled PySide wheel (and pip checked it, but decided the wheel couldn't be used), it seems you definitely have to build PyQt yourself. At the moment, pip can't even find PyQt4, so advantage PySide I guess :roll: