1. Un-rar game to c:\Games\
2. Go into Imp remake folder
3. Read Readme
4. Double click on .jar file

Actual result: nothing happens, I small loading icon happens for a brief second
Expected Result: Either the game starts up or an error message to come up

Notes: Java has just been updated to the latest

Any help will be must appreciated

SOLUTION: go to http://johann.loefflmann.net/en/softwar ... index.html and download the jarfix. Run it and all should be well
Last edited by Creator on Sat Jan 26, 2013 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Trilarion
Founder

Help

Post by Trilarion »

Hi, this seems important. In this early stage there will probably be many such childhood diseases. I am happy for every such feedback.

Please answer some questions:

1. Does double clicking on jar files normally start other java applications? I assume yes.

2. Has a new folder named "log" appeared in the Imp-remake-folder? If so, please zip the content and attach here or post the content of the newest log file as text!

3. Create a "run.bat" file in the Imp-remake-folder and edit with notepad. Add the following lines:
"C:\Program Files\Java\jre7\bin\java.exe" -jar imperialism-remake.jar
pause
and executed it (before change the path to where your newest java installation is). Post the output (screenshot) of the console display that is shown.
Trapets

Post by Trapets »

I had recently with other java-game-project similar problem. It did'nt find java, in Win7 (64) java is in folder - Program Files (x86). Maybe thats the case?
Creator

Re: [Unsolved]Game will not start

Post by Creator »

okay found out a couple things:

1. no log folder

2. I seem to have 2 java installations, one in the "program files" with "JRE6" and one in my "Program files(x86)" which has both "JRE6" and "JRE7"

3. Created the bat folder with the following parameters

Code: Select all

C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre7\bin\java.exe" -jar imperialism-remake.jar
pause
I then double clicked the bat and the following message got displayed in the command prompt

C:\Games\ImperialismRemakeVer.0.1.1>C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre7\bin\java.ex
e" -jar imperialism-remake.jar
'C:\Program' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

C:\Games\ImperialismRemakeVer.0.1.1>pause
Press any key to continue . . .
The only thing I can think of is that .bat does not take spaces very well

I am gonna try uninstalling ALL my java and then re installing it. let you know how it goes

EDIT: found out I had 3 different versions of java installed on my computer. Java 6, Java 6 (64-bit), and java 7. uninstalling all now and reinstalling java 7

EDIT2: okay I installed Version 7 Update 11 and still am having the original problem.
Trilarion
Founder

Post by Trilarion »

Within the bat file you forgot the initial "
It must be: "C:\...

If someone has several Java version installed (which Java does but doesn't tell you about) it's often not clear which one is executed. You can select the version that is executed in System panel/Java control panel/Tab Java and then you can activate and de-activate versions. Or you uninstall all versions except the newest one which I would recommend. (It also might be that .jar is not associated with Java anymore, try jarfix in this case: http://johann.loefflmann.net/en/softwar ... index.html)

The missing log folder means that the programm execution didn't really went very far. The execution of the run.bat is now what needs to be done.
Creator

Post by Creator »

such a small mistake. Can't believe I missed the "

Here is what comes up now in the bat file

C:\Games\ImperialismRemakeVer.0.1.1>"C:\Program~Files~(x86)\Java\jre7\bin\java.e
xe" -jar imperialism-remake.jar
The system cannot find the path specified.

C:\Games\ImperialismRemakeVer.0.1.1>pause
Press any key to continue . . .
Tried the jarfix link and SUCCESS! thank you. I will post this in the orginal post
Trilarion
Founder

Post by Trilarion »

Creator wrote:...SUCCESS!...
8-) That's the only thing that counts. So your Windows system somehow lost the association of Java with .jar files. I am beginning to see why an additional Windows launcher executable makes sense. :)