Introduce yourself

Anything related or not related to the project.
alex347

Re: Introduce yourself

Post by alex347 »

Congratulations to everyone on this project! I played enough imp1 to get a PHD in it so I hope I can contribute some ideas. Unfortunately my programming skills are very basic so I can't help with the coding but I'd like to help any other way I can.
Trilarion
Founder

Post by Trilarion »

Sorry, it's more than a month ago that you posted here. Welcome. Programming skills are not needed to contribute. I will now read your comments and we will see what we can do with them. :)
TheImp

Post by TheImp »

Hi. I played Imperialism when it first came out (in the late 90's, if memory serves), and generally like to play strategy games, for example Civ 2/3, Tropico 1/3/4, or the Football Manager Series. Last year, I dusted off my original Imperialism CD and tried to get it running. Using Wine, I eventually succeded. Since it seemed a bit dated (scrolling way too fast, very small screen) and a bit buggy (world map zoomed out, useful for commanding the fleet, crashes the game) I searched for a modern version and eventually found this project a few months ago.
After the switch to python, I felt that I may contribute something, and so finally registered. I have some skills in programming (C/C++, python), and some ideas how Imperialism may be tweaked a bit.
Veneteaou

Post by Veneteaou »

YAY MORE PROGRAMMERS! I seriously need to start drawing again this summer.

Welcome to the project TheImp.
Trilarion
Founder

Post by Trilarion »

Hi TheImp, welcome to the project. I hope you be able to play Imperialism again here some day. Btw. the Imperialism version from gog.com might fix some of the problems you mention (although very small screen and fast scrolling aren't fixed afaik).

Please post your ideas about tweaking the original in the Content Discussion section.
visitor

Post by visitor »

I found out Imperialism quite late, somewhere around 2003. Always been strategy gamer and played through the Civs and Master Of Orions (well not the 3).

I have some hobby level skills on programming, made tetris in c++ back in the DOS era and later with Java. Also started many other game projects, but never finished those as it is very tough job.

If you need videos in the game, that is where I can probably help, as I have worked about 5 years in video editing. That means also some skills in audio and graphics, but you already seem to have good skilled people there. ( the music and starting screen actually impressed me, and I decided to register to the forum :) )
Trilarion
Founder

Post by Trilarion »

Hi visitor,

I just realized that what we all share in common is probably to have played the same (strategy) games in the past. This might explain our urge to recreate this experience. I hope it works and not that we changed ourselves much and now are only chasing ghosts of the past.

Anyway a skilled video editor is something we definitely lack. Maybe you could say more what you can do with videos. I certainly would like to have videos for several points in the game (beginning, end, elections, big battle won/lost, capitulation, victory celebrations in the capital, scenario introductions, ...)
Veneteaou

Post by Veneteaou »

Welcome Visitor!

Another job that would benefit from experience is sound effects. Even if it's just scouring Creative Commons sites to build a sound library for the game, it's still pretty important in my opinion.
visitor

Post by visitor »

Veneteaou wrote:Welcome Visitor!

Another job that would benefit from experience is sound effects. Even if it's just scouring Creative Commons sites to build a sound library for the game, it's still pretty important in my opinion.
Thanks.

Some years ago I have had to rely on those sites and it can be tedious job to find suitable sounds there. One problem is also that, at least then, there was very little moderation and you could find sounds from commercial games like Civ and music/ songs by Metallica there :D
thehaxacoan

Post by thehaxacoan »

Hi everyone,

I am another Imperialism enthusiast from Germany. Back in 1997, Imperialism was one of my first computer games, and it will always remain one of my favorites. As a matter of fact, I have been avoiding to install the game for about a year now because it will invariably get me hooked through an entire night, wreaking havoc on my work schedule for the rest of the week :-)

Since in my opinion, Imperialism has one of the best game mechanics ever, but is flawed in its lack of scope and modifiability, I have been playing with the idea of starting a remake project myself. I was therefore overjoyed to discover that some people already started a remake, and that a decent skeleton is already up and running. I am not sure how much time I will be able contribute to this project, but as a computer scientist with substantial experience in developing and implementing various types of algorithms, I could definitely imagine to take over at least one of the more challenging programming tasks. I would especially like to contribute to the modules for transport network computations or artificial intelligence. In the next few months, I will get to know and play around with the existing code, and then see whether I can carve out a nice and managable first subproject for myself.

Best wishes,

The Haxacoan