Introduce yourself

Anything related or not related to the project.
Veneteaou

Re: Introduce yourself

Post by Veneteaou »

If anyone is going to work on a tech tree, I direct them to http://s1.zetaboards.com/Imperilist/forum/1665180/ where the old Project Remake team did a ton of historical research already. It was designed to function much like the IMP1 tech tree, so obviously it would need work to be applied to a different structure, but it's a good starting point. Also had a history professor involved for a while.

It was condensed down here: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1035#p1566
Trilarion
Founder

Post by Trilarion »

The whole Research thread is actually good to read. I also posted the current state of my ideas there but I'm open to everything.
thehaxacoan

Post by thehaxacoan »

Hi everyone,

I am sorry I didn't check back on the forum regularly enough to see that Trilarion even wished to contact me :-)

I have been looking at the codebase, though, and I do like what I have seen so far. However, the contributions I could imagine to make start at a slightly more advanced stage, so I will probably just wait for now and come back every month or so to see what happened. Count me in as soon as the terrain model is extended to model player control and resource yields, and there is a first rudimentary version of the transport screen. That's the point where I would get involved by implementing the transport network computations.

The Haxacoan
thehaxacoan

Post by thehaxacoan »

And now I do have an account, so you can send me a message :-)
Trilarion
Founder

Post by Trilarion »

thehaxacoan wrote:...I have been looking at the codebase, though, and I do like what I have seen so far. However, the contributions I could imagine to make start at a slightly more advanced stage, so I will probably just wait for now and come back every month or so to see what happened. Count me in as soon as the terrain model is extended to model player control and resource yields, and there is a first rudimentary version of the transport screen. That's the point where I would get involved by implementing the transport network computations. ...
Thanks for the nice words and I'd be glad to have you contribute at this point in future. I guess it will still take some months (up to half a year) to come to this stage, but maybe also sooner. I will inform you via Private Message of the forum, so hopefully you'll get an email notification then.
thehaxacoan

Post by thehaxacoan »

Apparently, I am not allowed to compose PMs (not even to answer yours), so let me just thank you for the information. I was notified of your message as intended, and I will now receive any information you choose to send me much quicker than before :-) Let me just add that I can also imagine to contribute to other more basic components of the game, and to start earlier than in half a year. I just think it is best for one person to first define the overall module structure, and then for other programmers to chip in once the skeleton is up and running.
Trilarion
Founder

Post by Trilarion »

haxacoan, I think the minimal requirement for sending PMs is three postings in the forum (changing the user group from newly registered to normal). This was an anti spam bot measure at some point against spam bots that could register and would send PMs. However it is also a hindrance for us, so I will change it asap.

If you want to help out earlier, have a look at the task list, pick one and tell me, so we can discuss the details. But you can also wait - I'm fine with both. It's up to you.

edit: Lowered private message limit to one post. That means after you write one post (introduction most probably) you can send PMs.
mongo

Post by mongo »

Hi, I am an German Java-Developer from Berlin.

I'm programming physics simulations and computer graphics for about 5 Years now. I'm strongly interested in datastructures. I've just started to work with Python and hope to learn more while programming imperialism remake ;) I'd love to help with the research topic even if I don't know how to build "trees" and graphs in python yet.

best mongo
Trilarion
Founder

Post by Trilarion »

mongo wrote:Hi, I am an German Java-Developer from Berlin.

I'm programming physics simulations and computer graphics for about 5 Years now. I'm strongly interested in datastructures. I've just started to work with Python and hope to learn more while programming imperialism remake ;) I'd love to help with the research topic even if I don't know how to build "trees" and graphs in python yet.

best mongo
Hi mongo,

Welcome to the project. Simulations and computer graphics sounds like very nice suitable for the project. Also I can guarantee you that Python will be very useful for your work - it just makes programming so much faster and still is an elegant language (not like Matlab for example).
I will now head over to the research topic and discuss things there with you.

best Tril
robertdebla

Post by robertdebla »

My name is Robert, just wanted you to know that there is people around the world anxious to test this remake as you improve it...
I am not a programmer, however I can help with translations in several languages if needed and love to make maps, so would be pleased to help within my limited possibilities.