Introduce yourself

Anything related or not related to the project.
Trilarion
Founder

Post by Trilarion »

Hi,

thank you for registering again and sending a post. So I know you aren't a spam bot. :)

I am sure I can create small tasks that you could do. Maybe you can say something about the areas that interest you most or that you have much experience. Some current examples are:
  • Network: Communication between a server and the clients. Registering, having special states, sending update messages.
  • Graphical User Interfaces: Selection of units, Drawing various maps
  • Under the hood: Extending the game model to incorporate military, industry, research, diplomacy...
Creator

Re: Introduce yourself

Post by Creator »

Hello.

I am Dylan, AKA Creator, administrator and creator of the Imperilist Forum. I was very interested when I heard this remake and wish it all the best. I live in Australia and, of course, am an avid fan of the Imp Series
Trilarion
Founder

Post by Trilarion »

Hi Creator, thanks for joining and for the support. I hope we can make the project successful.

Also it's cool that we become more and more international. We should think about a world map, pinning our location, just for the fun of it.
EviltheMonkey

Post by EviltheMonkey »

Hi everyone!

I'm EviltheMonkey or EtM for short. I'm a mechanical engineer based in the UK and I've always been interested in history, particularly the development of Technology and the Industrial Revolution. So I guess the attraction to the Imp series is obvious! Also a fan of games like Civ and the various Paradox titles (CK2 and Vicky are favourites) and I loved the Panzer General games back in the day.

I've worked on several game mods in the past mostly as an Ideas man as programming makes my head explode! Just looking through the specification docs has given me some ideas, so I hope you're still open to suggestions! Anyway I love to help out the project anyway I can; games like this just don't get made anymore and I'd love to see Imp get its second wind!
Trilarion
Founder

Post by Trilarion »

Hi EtM and welcome. I am very curious to your ideas!

Nothing is really set although I have a couple of strong opinions on some aspects while on others I am completely open. In the content subforum I will announce whenever a decision must be made (that is when it becomes scheduled for implementation). But we aren't yet that far.

Until then just give your suggestion on anything you like.
Xylander

One more German

Post by Xylander »

Hi guys!

My name is Stefan and I am a professional Software Developer. I finished my studies (computer science) in 2005 and have been working as a Java programmer since then. At the moment my primary work is Product Management, Software Architecture and coaching junior developers. I haven't been programming at home yet- but this might change!

Like you I'm a big fan of 4x games, currently playing Civ5 and Victoria 2 (AHD). It's been a while since I last played Imperialism2. There has been a time when my wife and I had Imerialism sessions on a regular basis and we've had a lot of fun! Atm we are playing Civ5 a lot. Though I like playing alone (Victoria 2) I prefer MP games. Finding the AI's weaknesses and exploiting it (what is what you do playing 4x games against the computer) is fun only for a short period of time.

So what can I do? From designing an architecture or parts of it over setting up continuos integration to coding and testing there's a lot I can do. My wife might provide some artwork if can convince her (she's a graphic designer). My primary interests are simulating an economy and AI, though I might be able to provide stable network code, too. Interface programming might not be my strength as I've been working on web applications most of the time.

What's next? I'll have a look at what you already have and start commenting at it!
Don't repeat yourself. (DRY)
Keep it simple, stupid. (KISS)
You ain't gonna need it. (YAGNI)
http://www.clean-code-developer.de/
Veneteaou

Post by Veneteaou »

Welcome to the party Stefan! It's always good to have more programmers (within reason).

Trilarion is the programming lead (really he's just the all-round guy in charge), so he is the person you will end up working with the most. If you need anything from art to music to old Imp1/2 game files, I'm your guy.

Ven
Trilarion
Founder

Welcome Stefan!

Post by Trilarion »

From your description you seem to have exactly the experiences the project needs right now! :) I really hope you'll have a good start and be able to contribute. We are surely interested.

We strive for only the best (coding) practices and open to everything - however I have to admit that it isn't always a simple thing, especially when you can only work in your free time on the project. There are many temporary solutions included and enough opportunity for anyone to do something.

Currently I have mostly worked on the map display and the internal storage of a scenario (having nations, provinces, ...). I struggle mostly with the network part, where I don't mean the physical part, but more the efficient message handling.

I will update the getting started thread soon and then I hope we can discuss the code structure. Please feel free to comment on everything you see here! :)

Since you and me share the same mother language I will also sent you a small PM. :)
Xylander

Re: Welcome Stefan!

Post by Xylander »

Trilarion wrote:Since you and me share the same mother language I will also sent you a small PM. :)
I'd have done this already, if I was allowed to! I'll have to participate more to be allowed to send pms ;-)
Don't repeat yourself. (DRY)
Keep it simple, stupid. (KISS)
You ain't gonna need it. (YAGNI)
http://www.clean-code-developer.de/
Trilarion
Founder

Re: Welcome Stefan!

Post by Trilarion »

Xylander wrote:I'd have done this already, if I was allowed to! I'll have to participate more to be allowed to send pms ;-)
And with your third post you just qualified for sending PMs. ;)