We need a NAME for the project!

Anything related or not related to the project.
Trilarion
Founder

Re: We need a NAME for the project!

Post by Trilarion »

EviltheMonkey wrote:...Something that combines machinery and power. ...
That would certainly help.

- Workshops of Domination
- The Imperialistic Manufactory
- Arsenals of Power (probably taken already)
- Smoking Chimneys of Imperialism
- Pistons of Power
- Steel Tracks to Supremacy

I have no clue how these feel to a native speaker, but I like "Arsenals of Imperial Power" (short AIP).
Haxaco

Post by Haxaco »

I kinda like Empires of Blood and Steam

La Belle Époque (this was a period in French history that is conventionally dated as starting in 1871 and ending when World War I began in 1914. Occurring during the era of the Third French Republic (Beginning 1870), it was a period characterized by optimism, peace at home and in Europe, new technology and scientific discoveries. )
ForFunAndProfit

Post by ForFunAndProfit »

I like yours, Haxaco. LBE sounds like a great way to abbreviate it too. Besides, not too many games out there that have a French sort of connotation to them.
Creator

Post by Creator »

I like it.. But it does seem like a bit of a short time period focused on one small area of the world
Trilarion
Founder

Post by Trilarion »

Belle Époque denotes the peaceful period between two wars where industrial revolution, scientific discoveries take place and new styles or art are made. But I feel like it doesn't include the war bits. In America it was called: Gilded Age in England Victorian/Edwardian Era.

What about: The Imperial Era or maybe it sounds better in french: l'époque impériale
Or: Ambitions Impériales
Haxaco

Post by Haxaco »

The Imperial Era seems ok. I like the French stuff, but perhaps it's not as appealing as a name in English?
Creator

Post by Creator »

ah that makes more sense.

has "Imperial Ambitions" been suggested?

It is hard to really combine a name that is good and that combines imperialism with industry.

I mean the name of the orginal game "Imperialism: The Art of Conquering the World" doesn't really capture the industrial era

O
Veneteaou

Post by Veneteaou »

Imperial Industry?
Haxaco

Post by Haxaco »

Creator wrote:
has "Imperial Ambitions" been suggested?
I like it!

Maybe as a subtitle we could use something with empires wanting "a place in the sun"? It's a nice container for grand imperial ambitions, realised by economic and military might.
Xylander

Post by Xylander »

So if it is primarily a multiplayer game we could name it "Imperialism Tournament". Maybe "Age of Imperialism" is a nice name, too. Kind of false friend, though.

At least "Empires of Blood and Steam" sounds good to me, too. Don't bother about not being a native speaker. People across Europe bought millions of "Cheri, Cheri Lady" singles. Most of them have thought 'hey, sounds nice' without thinking about a meaning or something ...
Don't repeat yourself. (DRY)
Keep it simple, stupid. (KISS)
You ain't gonna need it. (YAGNI)
http://www.clean-code-developer.de/