We need a NAME for the project!

Anything related or not related to the project.
Trilarion
Founder

Post by Trilarion »

Many people like a good single player strategy game. So I wouldn't say it's primarily multiplayer but more like SP and MP are equally weighted. As in the Civilization series for example - makes fun alone as well as together.

But it seems as if "Empires of Blood and Steel" is a very good candidate for the name. It seems to be liked by everybody so far. Therefore with so many good proposals in the past I think we just follow the plan I wrote earlier: In April we will have a Name-Finding-Contest. Until the next release (6th May) we will have a name.

I also have a plan for attracting some more people via this contest - I bought some Imperialismus 1 serial keys and I will give them for free to everybody who registers and proposes a name for the project. I will advertise about this in the next weeks.
ForFunAndProfit

Re: We need a NAME for the project!

Post by ForFunAndProfit »

One just hit me:
"Foundry of Nations."

>.>
Creator

Post by Creator »

ForFunAndProfit wrote:One just hit me:
"Foundry of Nations."

>.>

Your idea gave me an idea

"Foundry of Empires"
Veneteaou

Post by Veneteaou »

Or Foundry of Kingdoms.
Trilarion
Founder

Post by Trilarion »

Foundry of ... sounds good in my ears. Only kingdoms is a bit too early - isn't it like the time of swords and knights. Empires is problematic because it is used generally for everything throughout history. Nations is probably best, because nationalism is one foundation of imperialism. You just feel/know that your nation is the grandest nation on earth and should rule the world.
Creator

Post by Creator »

yes indeed. plus empires already really existed at that time

foundry of nations sound good to me. I also like it because it is shorter then some of the other suggestions
Veneteaou

Post by Veneteaou »

I think that's a name we all agree upon.
Creator

Post by Creator »

Can it be true? :mrgreen:

a name we all like :!:
Trilarion
Founder

Post by Trilarion »

I think we have even two such candidates until now. "Empires of Blood and Steel" is also one that nobody really objected. I feel good that we have so many good candidates now.

Just again how I think we should proceed: Before easter I am away. After that there will be a period where everybody can nominate some names, we will also make advertisement about this on other places. Then there is a voting period and we take the winner. Since we have already at least two names that sound good to many people I expect even some interesting fighting in the votes. Anyway I want to celebrate the choosing process a bit, even if in principle we could just have a simple vote between two or three names here in the thread with the same result... :)
Veneteaou

Post by Veneteaou »

Did a quick Google search for both to see what we were up against in terms of search rankings and copyright issues:

Empires of Blood and Steel: 17.2 million hits. Looks like most of them have to do with Age of Empires III: Blood, Ice and Steel, a campaign from the game.

Foundry of Nations: 3.2 million results, and is the name of a fairly obscure forum-based NES (pen and paper strategy) game: http://optnesfon.wikia.com/wiki/Foundry_of_Nations_Wiki . I don't think it would be a problem, save for the fact that they have a "Foundry of Nations Wiki" that is up pretty high in search rankings. We'd be competing, but it shouldn't be hard as we are an actual computer game with tie-ins to classic franchises like Imperialism, Civilization, and others, not to mention our link-through abilities in the CC/open-source communities.