Map Limitions

Anything related or not related to the project.
Creator

Map Limitions

Post by Creator »

So in the original Imperialism game and Imp 2 there is a limit to map editors of what can actually be done.

For example you would have a max set amount of tile pieces you could place in and a max amount of great and minor countries you can put in. This led to world maps looking weird and having strange made up countries that had to be made due to the country limit.

So my question is, Will there be a tile and/or country limit?

I hope not :)
Veneteaou

Re: Map Limitions

Post by Veneteaou »

Depends on how Tril makes the maps. Initially, I assume we will be looking at only a static Euro map similar to the Imp1 scenarios. When (or if) a random map generator is added, then there should be no issue with maps being as large or small as people want.
Trilarion
Founder

Post by Trilarion »

Creator wrote:...So my question is, Will there be a tile and/or country limit? ...
No, there are definitely much less limits than in the original. One limit is that all the data has to fit into memory. Another is that for limiting the size of the save games I currently limit the number of possible terrains and resources to 32 (each) and the number of provinces to 1024 (the original Europe map has about 300 provinces). There is no limit on the number of nations or tiles except sufficient memory. And if we think these limits are too small, we can increase them at any time because the programm code is open source. Indeed I thought again about it and rather to be safe than sorry I will increase the limits in the save game.

So I think this isn't a problem. You can have as much of anything as you want and if there appears a limit, we just find a way of increasing it. :)

One reason why the remake will be better than the original is that the original was optimized for a certain screen resolution which is now quite sub standard. Even by getting rid of these simple limitations one can improve a lot.
Creator

Post by Creator »

this sounds good.

Awesome that there will be (theoretically) no limit on countries or tiles