Places to buy the original Imperialism

Anything related or not related to the project.
Veneteaou

Re: Places to buy the original Imperialism

Post by Veneteaou »

I can definitely do that. Thanks.
Xylander

Post by Xylander »

Trilarion wrote:Also I guess the free download opportunities are kind of illegal, since Imp1&2 are currently also sold, so I guess the rights holder would never agree. Just to not risk anything I deleted the link. Just google it if you need it for free.
Different sites handle Imperialism as abandonware. I don't know of any publisher selling the game today. I believe GOG sells it without having aquired a licence, too.

At least I didn't publish any download link for a reason. I just linked a news entry on "The Daily Imperialist" site. They don't host any game downloads at all! But if you think such a link threatens this site in any way you can remove it, of course. I don't understand it, though.
Don't repeat yourself. (DRY)
Keep it simple, stupid. (KISS)
You ain't gonna need it. (YAGNI)
http://www.clean-code-developer.de/
Creator

Post by Creator »

I wouldl ike to state that whilst there are free downloads out there the imperalism 1 game on the GOG site has been adjusted for windows xp, vista, and 7 use and includes all video and music that you would not usually find in the downloaded versions.

I personally believe it is well worth the small price for it
Veneteaou

Post by Veneteaou »

Different sites handle Imperialism as abandonware. I don't know of any publisher selling the game today. I believe GOG sells it without having acquired a license, too.
GOG does in fact have a license from Ubisoft. They have licenses for all their games, which is why some releases have taken them more than a year to get together (System Shock 2), and many slam dunk classics still aren't sold there (Lucasarts games).

I'd recommend folks buy it anyway: GOG fixed bugs and the game is much more playable now.
Xylander

Post by Xylander »

Veneteaou wrote:I'd recommend folks buy it anyway: GOG fixed bugs and the game is much more playable now.
Hm, buy again though I have the original game? I like my German version. Can you please give me a link to a list of fixed bugs or describe what you mean with "more playable"?
Veneteaou

Post by Veneteaou »

Couple of things:

- Stability: it no longer randomly crashes at a random specific date, even in multiplayer (that we've seen so far)
- Zoom bug
- Works fine in Windows 7 and 8
- Fixed some random bugs that had to do with battles, Otto-calc, and issues with unit placement.

Mostly, you can actually play multiplayer and finish games now. That and the Zoom bug. Those were the two big things that the 1.1 patch never fixed.

Just an addendum for anyone who wishes GOG offered Imp1 in some other language besides english: their version still accesses all the same data files, so Xylander it should be possible to drag-and-drop whatever files you have into the GOG folder to make it German. I don't believe that would screw with the fixes they made, although worst case scenario is that someone uses eXeScope or something to replace specific assets within the data files. I'd be doing that now with enhanced graphics if I only had a registered copy of eXeScope.
Xylander

Post by Xylander »

Veneteaou wrote:Couple of things:

- Stability: it no longer randomly crashes at a random specific date, even in multiplayer (that we've seen so far)
- Zoom bug
- Works fine in Windows 7 and 8
- Fixed some random bugs that had to do with battles, Otto-calc, and issues with unit placement.

Mostly, you can actually play multiplayer and finish games now. That and the Zoom bug. Those were the two big things that the 1.1 patch never fixed.
Sounds good to me. When I run into those bugs repeatedly I'll think about it. Thank you!

Edit: OK. The bugs are there and they are annoying. I don't remember having these problems playing Imperialism (but that was 10 years ago ...) I should give the GOG version a try. At least I installed a screencapture software to be able to create an AAR (what I've never done, yet).
Trilarion
Founder

Post by Trilarion »

Xylander wrote:...Different sites handle Imperialism as abandonware. ...
Let me add to the discussion that the term abandonware has no meaning whatsorever legally. Legally things are either free or restricted. In this case I'm sure any such download of Imperialism is illegal, especially since Ubisoft, the rights holder, is selling the game now again via GOG as distribution channel. It's my name on this website here as owner and I don't want to risk Ubisoft coming after me. I might be a bit overly sensitive there. Of course I don't mind where or how anyone obtains his copy. ;)