Game Specifications and Where I'm Supposed to Start

Anything related or not related to the project.
Veneteaou

Game Specifications and Where I'm Supposed to Start

Post by Veneteaou »

I read up on the design documents on the repository, and the Game Specifications document looks really... vast. There looks to be several games worth of content that will hopefully be implemented in there. I'm wondering if there is a priority order on the way these mechanics will be created so I know how to prioritize my time alongside Trilarion's coding to keep our progress consistent.
Trilarion
Founder

Re: Game Specifications and Where I'm Supposed to Start

Post by Trilarion »

Yes, it seems vast indeed. However the original game consists of research and diplomacy and trade and industry and military... I didn't know how to cut anything out in a reasonable way. And I also don't want - it is just grand strategy and that's what many people love. Of course if there are good ideas to smartly reduce the complexity somewhat?

For priority, it's not yet clear. Everything has to be done at some point. I guess you can just choose a topic of your liking and start working on it. We will then discuss it together. I want to concentrate on a workable solution first. So all core game mechanics included, all screens implemented, all artwork existing - however the fine tuning of game mechanics or the quality of the artwork or translations or nice installers or extensive help files - should come later. So first make it work, then make it good, then polish it.

Currently I would say it's still design phase. You could have a look at the Design section of the forum for some discussions. I hope you will find something you can work on.