So, what's going on?

Anything related or not related to the project.
Trilarion
Founder

Re: So, what's going on?

Post by Trilarion »

pikovich wrote:looks dead?
Not yet, at least not dead. More like sleeping for several months, but I'm still here and intending to continue actively again.

However obviously the project likes to take a nap from time to time. At least I used part of the mean time to widen my spectrum of programming techniques (in particular with Python, JSON and Git). This might be positive for this project in regard of faster developing in the future. But first there is again to be made a decision of Java vs. Python (see Programming section).
Trilarion
Founder

Post by Trilarion »

Veneteaou wrote:I'm not sure where Tril is these days. ...I definitely have not forgotten about this place, and I want to see it finished as much as anyone.
What can I add? I also have not forgotten and it is really nice to hear from an old acquaintance. My reasons for not being here for an extended period are much more trivial than yours. But it was also clear that this project always had a "no pressure - just fun" approach. Anyway all the assets are open source, so everyone can take over and continue at every time. But I'm back again too now. :)

I will exchange the blog with a Wordpress powered one in the next days. It just looks nicer. The source code will move to Github because there other devs can more easily access it (and fork it and propose patches).

For other progress stay tuned.
Veneteaou

Post by Veneteaou »

Tril,

It's always good to hear from you. I really am going to be back to work on this after May when our site launches. I'm hoping I can wrap up terrain and main screen tiles this summer and be done with them.
The source code will move to Github because there other devs can more easily access it (and fork it and propose patches).
This is an excellent idea.
Trilarion
Founder

Post by Trilarion »

Very good. I'll need a week or two to bring the infrastructure of the project up to date and then we can discuss game matters again. :)
Trilarion
Founder

Post by Trilarion »

I started working on the project and did a bit about terrain graphics. Not much to show so far but at least the project is going again. :)

Happy Easter everyone!
Trilarion
Founder

Post by Trilarion »

In the last days there were two pleasant surprises. The project source repository on GitHub got starred by two other programmers and a fan send a contact message. I have a feeling that the change to Python and GitHub does a lot of good for the project. In my case they even might have saved it programmingwise because me alone maybe would have never finished it in Java, but in Python almost everyone can continue. Forking has never been easier.

Of course I plan on continueing and currently I do recreate quite a lot of the first Java version in quite fast speed, but you never know...
Veneteaou

Post by Veneteaou »

That's good news. Exactly what we were hoping for when we made the decision to migrate to Python.
Trilarion
Founder

Post by Trilarion »

Yes, so far everything is going according to plan. :)

I hope, I really do hope to come to the old state before July. We'll see.
Trilarion
Founder

Post by Trilarion »

Actually it looks good. Arriving at old state at the end of June sounds still reasonable too me. This just as a quick update.
Trilarion
Founder

Next weeks

Post by Trilarion »

This week I investigated how network communication is done in Python and it turned out that the Qt framework that we rely on includes this already in quite a usable state. So the code base has grown a bit again. Unfortunately one cannot see much of it right now. Therefore I will write down my plans for the next weeks. My goals are:
  • Integrate a simple task board into the website. I already have one in mind. Cross authentification is often not supported for more difficult models so you would have to register twice which I don't want. The simple solution is that there is one central thread here and I just update the white board regularly.
  • Bringing the game definition file up to date and releasing it for discussion. Extract tasks for the most complex parts of it that can already be implemented in Python and tested and played around with. Keyword is prototypes.
  • Advancing the programm code so that it contains roughly the functionality of the last Java based version, then release it. Hopefully distribution and installation will be a smooth experience.
  • Write a small article about the history of the project (year by year). I think this is important and as original creator I feel most compelled to do it.
So there is enough to do but it is all necessary to branch out then and offer tasks that everyone can do. Already, once the task board is ready I will put some tasks on it.