So, what's going on?

Anything related or not related to the project.
Trilarion
Founder

Definitely off topic

Post by Trilarion »

The recent discoveries in the press about the absolute spying of communication channels in Germany by English and US secret services in the press has had a big impact here. I have the feeling this can decide upcoming elections. And I am shoked too. I feel like democracy and freedom are failing faster and faster and soon we will all end up in tyranny. It's like an especially horrible theater play, only it's real. Above all I am worried about the world we are leaving to our children.

This is not meant as accusation towards anyone or anything. Just a thought that wants to be out in the world and here is the next best thing I have to a blog.
Veneteaou

Re: So, what's going on?

Post by Veneteaou »

The internet broke the global political house of cards. From piracy undermining IP law, to social media moving information faster than corporate-owned news media can spin it, to openness of information preventing education from massively failing the public, and even people demanding the idea of government changes. The internet has helped the global population outgrow politics as it is sold to us by our governments.

If you want to worry about what we leave our children, realize that within the next century we will see either:

- An artificial intelligence that creates AIs better than we can (the last invention man ever need invent); or
- A complete connections mapping (i.e. a full copy) of a human brain and consciousness.

In either case, it will evolve so much more rapidly than we have, and the end result is that mankind becomes a pest that over-populates and damages the earth. Machine intelligence is our next stage of evolution, and it will likely drive us extinct. Sorry for being a downer, but it's far more mathematically likely than global warming or asteroids or even nuclear war to end humanity.
Trilarion
Founder

Post by Trilarion »

Sure there are more threats. Additional to thought control and overpowered artifical intelligence there is: extinction of species, change of climate, scarcity of resources, war for resources, nuclear proliferation.

But it all has a much higher risk of becoming a nightmare when you don't live in a democracy anymore. Doing secret things and controlling everything is just not compatible with freedom. I started my life in a dictactorship and I fear I might spent my end also in one. But above all I don't want this to happen to my children.

Anyway, for sure there are different threats and they are differently probable but alltogether I wonder if the high time of civilization and humanity is over.

Coming back to the project. This saturday there will be the next release. We are still at 0.1.x but I hope that one of the next releases might be 0.2, the framework programmingwise is mostly there, so including of content could actually accelerate after this release.
Trilarion
Founder

Release is shifted to next week

Post by Trilarion »

Today in two hours I drive to a wedding and I didn't reach all the goals that I wanted to reach for next release. So it is postponed to early next week.
Trilarion
Founder

Post by Trilarion »

Some days gone again, but I was very busy lately. Still I will bring out a new release within the next days. :)
Trilarion
Founder

Post by Trilarion »

A new release is out, exactly two months after the old one. There are actually some changes. Continuous terrain is working, only does not look really good, because I just made the continuous tiles by taking ordinary tiles from Ven and replicate some parts of it without much carefulness (basically in 20 minutes). The buttons made during a Scrimp-Sprint are incorporated and the server-client communication is working. You won't see much of it, but it means that all the major challenges in programming are solved and the rest is (once we have a detailed plan) just plain coding and bug hunting.

I had to move away from googlecode for hosting, because apparently they don't do this anymore. The downloads are now at sourceforge. It doesn't really matter, only it took half an hour of my life away. :(

The next release might take awhile, because the coming two weeks I'll be on vacation and I will focus on finishing the games content discussion and make a detailed plan for the future before continue coding. Also the code base needs to be cleaned up quite a bit before others and myself can continue. For the time being I introduced some hacks instead of relying on clean design. This all will be my work load for the next 3-4 months with the long term goal of having version 0.2 (where you actually can play a bit) ready before christmas (this year). :)
Trilarion
Founder

Post by Trilarion »

I'll be away the next two weeks. After this I will continue.
Trilarion
Founder

Post by Trilarion »

I am back and will resume my normal activity within the next days. :)
Veneteaou

Post by Veneteaou »

I as well incidentally. I've been busy working some unhealthy aspects out of my life, and will return to drawing tomorrow.

Expect more music as well.
Veneteaou

Post by Veneteaou »

I screwed two computers today. And my laptop is no longer stable enough to work on. I'm going to take inventory tonight and see if I can build something temporary, otherwise I'm saving money for the next few months until I can buy some parts.