So, what's going on?

Anything related or not related to the project.
Trilarion
Founder

Python Release coming in mid-july

Post by Trilarion »

I have to think about what I should be included in the first Python release. Surely it won't have more features than the last Java version but maybe a bit less. For me (being away throughout august) it is most convenient to release in mid-july in order to get some immediate feedback. So I will integrate as many as possible features from the old version and then in mid-july there will be a release (after 3 months of working on the Python version).

Currently, I'm in the middle of the editor screen drawing the map.
Trilarion
Founder

Python Release not coming in mid-july

Post by Trilarion »

Because it is already august. And also because of august being the holiday season for me, it won't come in august either, but definitely in beginning of september.

Recently I identified some bugs and killed them and now I only comment the code, so me and others know what it does. When this is finished I could release, only I also start on an extended roadtrip in a few days so no chance for releasing before.

Well this means we'll see each other again in september but then with some real news. :)
Willem

Re: So, what's going on?

Post by Willem »

Happy to see some progress. Keep up the good work!
Trilarion
Founder

Post by Trilarion »

Willem wrote:Happy to see some progress. Keep up the good work!
And I'm back and working on the release. It will come in the next days.
Veneteaou

Post by Veneteaou »

And I'm back and working on the release. It will come in the next days.
I might have more terrain artwork to show as well over the next month or so. I really want to wrap that up so we can move on.
Trilarion
Founder

v0.2.0 is out

Post by Trilarion »

So the first release with Python is out. Hopefully it will work for others as it works for me. It doesn't show more than the Java versions, even less regarding the editor (but that will come soon), only a start screen, some windows, music.

Please keep in mind that nothing is fixed. Especially not the graphics style. I only did it to give the whole thing a preliminary/mockup style. Anything can be changed by anyone at anytime. Button, backgrounds, decorations, ... you name it. This is just for testing the technology and showing what might happen here in the future. And it's also to get going.

Next step expanding the task list, showing the map again in the editor, creating the start game dialog, showing a game map initially, ...
Trilarion
Founder

Post by Trilarion »

As a small irony I got two contact messages from the main blog site last month while being away. Both probably from programmers who are very proficient in Java but not so in Python. At least one of them seemed to be inclined to also take over Python programming, so I send him a proposal for a task.

Also I extended the task list and made the link at the top of the forum display how many tasks are available and how many are in progress. I thought this would integrate this feature better with our community. By clicking on the tasks page you get some idea of what I think can be done right now (and is fairly independent towards each other).

As a start I signed immediately after the release for a another task, that is making the map view in the scenario editor. This will be one of my tasks over the next weeks.
Trilarion
Founder

Post by Trilarion »

So lately I've been working on getting the network part right. It's a requirement for many functions in the game and unfortunately it's also a topic that is not so rewarding initially because you don't see much. However later on, development will be speed up considerably.

Also I've been playing a couple of strategy games (observing the competition :)) and among these are:

- Expedition Conquistador: It's similar to Kings Bounty in the combat, the graphics and setting is quite nice. The combat is a bit repetitive but the boss fights are cool. In the end there is a lack of polishing. Overall quite good.

- Battleworld Kronos: A true successor of History Line and Battle Isle and hardcore strategy. I like it a lot. The combat feels good. Only bad point is the extremely weak AI. There is no counter strategy, maybe a bit of tactics but that's all. This is balanced by giving the enemy around 5 times as much units and the missions become slaughters of the enemy units. This is a put down unfortunately. I didn't play the multiplayer. It should be better probably.
Trilarion
Founder

Post by Trilarion »

0.2.1 has been released after some steady work in the last weeks. I hope it will bring also some interest into the project. I will just continue, but there are so many things that could be done at the same time.

A list I can choose from:
  • Improvements of the software as it is existing (better graphics, graphical algorithms, style sheets)...
  • Extending the software (multiplayer chat and lobby, single player main screen, sound effects, battle and trade prototypes...)
  • Android-App for battle prototype (to have people just play around with it on their smartphone)
  • Extend taskboard by some PHP programming
  • Continue with game definitions
  • Update the forum software and find out why the statistics plugin of the blog software doesn't work anymore
Of course I could need help with most of these points. So if anyone wants to do anything, just say so.