So, what's going on?

Anything related or not related to the project.
Trilarion
Founder

Re: So, what's going on?

Post by Trilarion »

This coming week will be quite busy for me. Workwise there is a lot to do and otherwise I still have to prepare some things for the wedding of an old friend in Paris next weekend. Which means that next weekend I will not be able to do anything else. Which means that until next release there isn't much time. Which means that I shouldn't break anything in the mean time and concentrate on finishing the tasks I was working on. :)

I thought, that this thread can be used to give status messages about the progress of tasks everyone has (if you feel like giving these messages) or if you want to warn people that next time there won't be much. I mean it's always nice to hear something. Please don't apologize for anything. The general approach is "it's done when it's done". :)
Veneteaou

Post by Veneteaou »

Well, I hit the same wall with the swamp tile that I did with the mountain tiles. Trying to repeat some of the mechanisms of the original game art style is not compatible with either the resolutions we are shooting for, or more likely my artistic abilities. It's a slow process of just trying different things until something looks good. After that, it's just horse ranch (which will be easy) and resource overlays.

Also, I've taken on some added writing exercises to work that creative side of my brain. I'm researching and developing plot and lore for a community sequel to the classic Bungie Marathon trilogy. It eats a bit into my drawing time, but it actually is a good break that keeps me from burning out on drawing tiles.
Haxaco

Post by Haxaco »

It's crunch time at work, I'll probably be away/mostly silent for 1-2 weeks to come!
Veneteaou

Post by Veneteaou »

Fuck horses. They are so fucking hard to draw. I wanna go punch a horse in the face.
Veneteaou

Post by Veneteaou »

I HAVE A NEW MUSIC POWERHOUSE!!!! I'm talking solid state drives, 32GBs of RAM, blasting through studio monitors that weigh 35lbs each!. I do have to get it shipped here and all put together first. I still need to wrangle a copy of Windows 8 Pro (might be able to wrangle an upgrade for cheap still), and possibly some random cables, but the bottom line is I have a machine...

My goal is to have these tiles wrapped up by the time it gets here, so I'm not breaking from a half-finished set. Horses are still being a giant kick in the nuts for me.
Trilarion
Founder

Post by Trilarion »

Sounds fantastic.

I'm now in release mode and testing everything to get a package ready for wednesday to release. It will feature artwork of several people. :)
Trilarion
Founder

Release finished

Post by Trilarion »

It's always the same old story. You have plenty of time before a release (I had three days) and then there occur some last minute bugs (who would have thought that OpenJDK 7 does not support Master Volume Controls for Sound output) and there are so many things to change, post, package, ... that in the end it's working overtime to finish. It's the universal law of nature itself... I guess.

Now I feel more relaxed again 8-) and will have time to sort things and push development forward again. Next release will be as usual 6th of May (version 0.1.3). Around easter I will be in vaccation for one week.
Haxaco

Post by Haxaco »

Ven, that sounds like a true beast!
Trilarion
Founder

Post by Trilarion »

Recently I realized that we should do and decide more on game design/mechanics. Not only are we now at a point where it's necessary for the further development (graphics, code), but also I also guess people want some more clear statements about how the game will be. And it's not like for many questions the answers would be obvious. From the discussions I saw, many topics will be controversial, like the question of balance in scenario or how which technologies to research, ... I started with game design a year ago but I never finalized it and all for the better, because now with more opinions it will probably be much better. But this area needs some distinct attention during the next time. :)
Veneteaou

Post by Veneteaou »

I think we've all reached a point in our growth on this team where it's a good time to stop and have some design discussions. I have a few terrain things to wrap up, and then I'm going to drop it until I can find myself the spare cash to grab some real drawing software (or wait until Artrage is on a Steam sale). I might take some time to get more experienced with GIMP, and use it to knock out some GUI ideas and sliderbar/toolbar/random art. I also need to spend enough time in my music room to make my wife feel like the money we just spent was worthwhile. :D

We have a lot to do. Unless our team starts experiencing more growth than it has lately, it would be best if we keep it simple in our design phase.