Guest posting

News around the development. Release information.
Trilarion
Founder

Guest posting

Post by Trilarion »

Until now guest posting was allowed, but needed moderator approval. This approval often came very late, because I overlooked the small icon on the affected threads and I didn't get any notice about it.

Guest access is good and important, we see many people just posting a single post as guest and only later they register. But in the early forum days there was a large number of spam attacks, so I introduced approval.

During a testing period I will now allow guests to post without moderator approval. If no spam posts appear everything is fine. Otherwise we have to go back to approval, but then I will try to act more quickly.
Veneteaou

Re: Guest posting

Post by Veneteaou »

Alternatively, you could promote regular devs to moderator positions where we could approve them as well.
Trilarion
Founder

Post by Trilarion »

You're right. If the free guest posting doesn't work, I'll do this.
Creator

Re: Guest posting

Post by Creator »

honestly I hate guest posting, I always say guest either read only or register to post but that just me
Trilarion
Founder

Post by Trilarion »

I also prefer registered users, but for some quick error reporting or commenting on a single issue guess access is very practical. I don't want to loose this input.

If needed we could restrict guest posting to certain sub-forums like support, ...
Trilarion
Founder

Post by Trilarion »

So far, the spam bots of the world haven't misued the guest posting feature. However last month we had heavy load (presumably spam related) from turkey and china among others (ukraine and russia being the other usual suspects).
Trilarion
Founder

Post by Trilarion »

Yeah, one could separate game play and development forums more. Logically it is done already now with the sub forums. For example this part is only for players. But currently we need a big enough community to get even more people interested in development so currently there should only be one community, I guess.