Remake version 0.1.x released

News around the development. Release information.
Trilarion
Founder

Remake version 0.1.x released

Post by Trilarion »

Version 0.1.0 has been released. Download

It should be running on all plattforms supported by Java. See the Changelog for details.

Any feedback is welcome!
Trapets

Post by Trapets »

Good work man!
Trilarion
Founder

One week

Post by Trilarion »

One week after the release now and already 25 downloads (-2 of my own). Actually for such an early state I didn't expect anything really and every download makes me happy.

Let's just say the development is steadily going and that's the most important thing, that it's always going on and the people have a feeling of progress.

Therefore I am sure that there is enough to justify a new release (0.1.1) somewhere in January. I guess a good three months release rhythm it will be (unless development goes slow sometimes).
Trilarion
Founder

New release

Post by Trilarion »

Version 0.1.1 has been released. Download - Screenshots

This time it really should be running on all plattforms running Java 7. See the Changelog for details.

We will make this a tradition and release a new version every two month on the sixth, so the next release is scheduled for 6th March 2013.
It might feature railroads, engineers running around the map and turns going by... maybe more.

Version 0.1.0 had 230 downloads (executable and source) in the past two months and I hope we can increase that number further.

As always any feedback is welcome!
Veneteaou

Re: Remake version 0.1.x released

Post by Veneteaou »

This is terribly exciting. Expect a new tile tomorrow BTW.
Robin Patterson

Post by Robin Patterson »

I looked at the top item (November) and wrongly assumed it was the latest. Now I see that Trilarion has not been too busy developing to announce 0.1.1 here. Let me join others to congratulate him!

I've added to the Imperialism Game Wiki a couple more links from the message he posted on the Imp_list a few hours ago. See http://imperialism.wikia.com/wiki/Game_ ... rnal_links

Now I'm trying the download. Seems I don't have the right Java setup on my Windows Vista Home Premium.
Trilarion
Founder

Java Download

Post by Trilarion »

Yes, I require the latest Java version. It makes programming easier for me although it means that sometimes you need to update. You can download the newest Java version at: http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/ ... 80261.html
Veneteaou

Post by Veneteaou »

As we get closer to a finished game, is that still going to be the case Tril?
Trilarion
Founder

Post by Trilarion »

Requirement will be Java 7 or later, since it has some features that make my job as programmer easier. Also it is widespread and the majority of users upgrade their software sooner or later. The longer we wait, the more have it (I hope). If we wanted we could even bundle a Java Environment and install it if needed.

The dependence on Java is a necessary evil. Java has to be installed additionally, is the aim of hackers and might contain security leaks. Additionally it tries to install a toolbar with every update which is impolite behavior and it doesn't show meaningful messages if the required version is not installed. Pretty bad. But on the other hand Java is a nice programming language allowing much faster and less buggy development than for example with plain C and there are many versatile and matured libraries and it runs on many OSs without significant changes. Also it's widespread.
Trilarion
Founder

Installer for Windows

Post by Trilarion »

Another thing will be an installer for Windows based computers that automatically checks the Java version. I am working on it and will offer it with the next version. This way people will know that they have to update their Java. Anyway in the future more and more people will have the right Java version and we are still far away from any finished product.