Choice of platform

Discussion of ongoing programming work.
Forum rules
Posted relevant content can be used under GPL or GFDL (http://www.gnu.org/) for the project. Thanks!
Chamster

Choice of platform

Post by Chamster »

I'm a long-time fan of Imp2 so it was with cautious delight that I discovered this project. Since the search function isn't the best (or maybe I'm too impatient, haha), I haven't found answers to a few questions I have regarding it.

Mainly, I wonder two things.

1. Is the general consensus at this stage biased towards a remake of Imp2 or a new development of Imp3? The difference being that in former would be copying the old experience (plus some minor changes), while the latter would imply a whole new product.

2. Is the matter of platform decided yet? I'm a C#/ASP.NET developer since many years so my contribution would be limited by what I love, namely MS-junk. I've heard something about Java and such but didn't see any official specifics.
Trilarion
Founder

Re: Choice of platform

Post by Trilarion »

Hi Chamster,

1. The general consensus is to recreate the experience of Imp1 with some differences that go beyond minor changes. Something like Imp1.2 or as I like to call it: Imp 1 as it should be. Definitely more Imp1ish than Imp2ish because the time period is 19th century industrialization, not colonization.

2. We want to have the game available on as many platforms as possible, so we went for Java. In principle a port to another platform like C#/ASP.NET would be possible and with reduced effort since most stuff like game mechanics can probably easily be transferred. However I have no personal interest in a version other than Java (I had but now I am determined), so somebody else would have to push this.