Dev Blog - Trilarion

Discussion of ongoing programming work.
Forum rules
Posted relevant content can be used under GPL or GFDL (http://www.gnu.org/) for the project. Thanks!
Trilarion
Founder

Short break

Post by Trilarion »

Just afforded a new computer system this week. Transfer of critical data from the old system and installation of all tools will take some days.

Goal for remaining days is units and rivers - so mostly graphics.
Veneteaou

Re: Dev Blog - Trilarion

Post by Veneteaou »

When in the timeframe are you considering implementing the tile overlay system for continuous graphics? I only ask because I'm wrapping up the tile work and thinking it might be beneficial on my end to crank out the continuous flowing tiles now in order to create a more continuous art style.
Trilarion
Founder

Post by Trilarion »

I will definitely not finishing it before next release (the march one) - it requires some changes. So we would have time until may. :)
Veneteaou

Post by Veneteaou »

Okay, good to know I have time. Are you planning on wrapping all aspects of the main screen (units, terrain, resource collection, etc.) before moving on to the other 4 screens?
Trilarion
Founder

Post by Trilarion »

More or less I extend the code base simultaneously on all aspects, but it turned out the main screen was progressing most so far. The reason is that the internal connection (firing events, ...) is easier when focusing on one aspect at a time. Other reason is that the editor has highest priority, and it needs the main screen but not the other screens.

So yes, but it will change in the future.
Trilarion
Founder

XIX - 0.1.2 to 0.1.3

Post by Trilarion »

Time for an update. I am ready to code again. I hope to get new programmers for the project, because that would increase the speed tremendously, but with open source you never know. Without contracts and money you need to wait for people to contribute for an extended time and only then you can be sure that they will stay because the only thing that's holding people here is the personal interest. If anything I will remember from the early phase of making an open source project it will be the constant fight to find and appeal to potential contributors. That's by far the most exhausting part of it.

So, code-wise what needs to be done in the next time. High priority have units on the map and network (starting a real game) and preliminary industry/diplomacy/... screens. That's enough I would say.

Details will follow in the next entries.
Trilarion
Founder

XX - Tools

Post by Trilarion »

So currently I concentrate on getting the concepts straight because this is a major stopper for all further development graphical and programming wise. I try to get more discussion going on about it, because that ensures high quality.

Programming-wise I am implementing the cool mouse over button for the start screen map made by Creator and a tool for displaying continous terrain with two tiles in action to help Ven in a continuous terrain edition.

Meanwhile I am thinking about how to get the server/client straight and to implement at least turns.

Getting all these things done will clear the path and enable straight development for the next months.
Xylander

Post by Xylander »

I'm still in! (reading your blog from time to time). Today I found time to contribute my thoughts on a new economic model (refers to my last E-Mail).

Before concept work is finished an I'm convinced that we designed a game we can implement and balance I won't start conding. I have a lot of ideas based on my proposed economic model. I'll see what you think about it first and share them later.

If we can agree on some model I'll build a simple prototype (without any graphics) that shows how that economy will work. The prototype will allow you to 'play' some turns, develop resources, produce goods and sell them. There will be menus, tables and buttons - not more. It will give you an idea of how it 'feels' like. I'll start experimenting with AI based on that prototype later.

If we can show that it works we can discuss when and how to implement it in the real game application ...
Don't repeat yourself. (DRY)
Keep it simple, stupid. (KISS)
You ain't gonna need it. (YAGNI)
http://www.clean-code-developer.de/
Trilarion
Founder

Post by Trilarion »

Good to hear from you. I actually count menus, tables, buttons as graphics but of course real graphics are different. So in what environment/language would you want to build a prototype?
Xylander

Post by Xylander »

I consider doing it in Excel or Java/Swing. I have never ever written Script Code in Excel, but maybe I should give it a try? :-)
Don't repeat yourself. (DRY)
Keep it simple, stupid. (KISS)
You ain't gonna need it. (YAGNI)
http://www.clean-code-developer.de/