Task: Get us a taskboard

Discussion of ongoing programming work.
Forum rules
Posted relevant content can be used under GPL or GFDL (http://www.gnu.org/) for the project. Thanks!
Trilarion
Founder

Task: Get us a taskboard

Post by Trilarion »

As can be checked, the "Task board" item on the top menu list of the forum is still not linked. Because there is no task board. I wanted to have a simple one, but I don't have much time for it.

I anyone knows a good one (free) or has time to evaluate some or can programme one by himself... that all would be very much welcome. :)
Veneteaou

Re: Task: Get us a taskboard

Post by Veneteaou »

I like the ability to share, but unless you require a real set of management tools I suggest we keep it simple with Workflowy. It's basically a web-based text editor, with a few organizational tools and the ability to collaborate built in. If you want to play around with it a bit to see if it can do everything for us, it's here: https://workflowy.com/

If you want something more serious, check out SeeNowDo.com. It's got everything covered, but is designed for someone who wants project management to be their part-time job. Actually, if we made project management an administrative task instead of a leadership position, we could hand it off to any potential team member who didn't have the skills to work on anything else.

I'm indifferent; personally, I really want to focus myself on art assets as much as possible.
Trilarion
Founder

Post by Trilarion »

Thanks for the suggestions. I tested Workflowy. It's not what I imagined but it's to easy and I like it. One could use it, the only thing is that I would share the a list and then either nobody can edit it or everybody I send it to which would mean everybody in the world, since I want to make it a link from here. I am not sure if we can live with everybody being able to edit the list. Otherwise it's fine.

So I want something that can be seen by everybody, but edited only but registered members (and maybe has a backup function in case somebody makes a mistake). It should be able to categorize items of a list (tagging by name, topic) but also give each item a date until which it should be done. Then sorting according to names, topics, dates... Maybe a nice coloring scheme would be nice. But that's all. Workflowy is almost there, the editing and date feature is missing.
Trilarion
Founder

Post by Trilarion »

Now I check seenowdo and it is overly complex (we don't need stories or hours to complete) uses Flash and most important: has no public view of the project. The last property renders it unusable. I liked Workflowy more.

I am sure there are zillion similar products out there. I will now evaluate some of them and then decide on one or the other. We can change anyway at any time.
Trilarion
Founder

Post by Trilarion »

Here the results for Kanban/Task/Scrum/Agile/You name it boards that are free to use:

Can be installed locally: Are used online:
  • Scrumy - simple and nice but everybody can edit it and it has no "due date". Like Workflowy.
  • OnlineKanban - similar to scrummy - everybody can edit
  • LinoIt - it looks so cute and has many nice features, only you cannot access it from public
  • Kanbanize - professional looking, not accesible from outside
  • Kanbanpad - simple but everybody can edit
Many other services are only free for 5 users or less, which might not be sufficient for us and therefore was ignored.

So in the end, either one cannot see it from outside, or if one can see it, everybody can edit it. This is unfortunate. I seriously think about extending Simple Kanban so that the users of the phpbb board are automatically logged on and can edit. That would be most comfortable but there would be some drawbacks: I cannot create all the functionality and the nice design the others have and it will take some time (away from the budget for the real project). But it might be useful for others...

The best design goes for Workflowy or LinoIt.
Trilarion
Founder

Post by Trilarion »

Until we have something that is completely integrated I set up this Workflowy page which is unfortunately not editable by users of this forum (it could only be made editable by everybody).

However maybe you can edit it, if you are registered at Workflowy? I would a volunteer to test this.
Veneteaou

Post by Veneteaou »

I'm registered, but the Workflowy isn't editable. If you want a public task board that only approved accounts can edit, you need a pro account.
Trilarion
Founder

Post by Trilarion »

Veneteaou wrote:I'm registered, but the Workflowy isn't editable. If you want a public task board that only approved accounts can edit, you need a pro account.
Thank you. 50 bucks per year is not what I want to spend on such a thing. Anyway I can come up with my own integrated solution for free given some time and it will even take the logins from this board, which would be more comfortable.

If you want to take over a task or if you want to add new tasks just drop a message in this thread What's going on?.
Trilarion
Founder

Post by Trilarion »

We have a taskboard for some time, but it has two major drawbacks yet.

- No user management, the admin does everything
- Not integrated with phpbb (actually no solution is)

However, with the extensions framework of phpbb there seems to exist a more convenient than before to actually do that. Maybe I will start doing a bit there. I'm sure phpbb users would like to have that too.