Getting started

Discussion of ongoing programming work.
Forum rules
Posted relevant content can be used under GPL or GFDL (http://www.gnu.org/) for the project. Thanks!
Trilarion
Founder

Getting started

Post by Trilarion »

Trilarion
Founder

Your questions

Post by Trilarion »

Please post all your question about setting up a running coding system here.
tallkrogen

Re: Getting started

Post by tallkrogen »

I normally use Eclipse for development but I thought I would give Netbeans a try.

I am having problems defining the xom and kryonet libraries as global libraries, whatever I try they do not seem to be recognised in the project. Any hints?
Trilarion
Founder

Re: Getting started

Post by Trilarion »

Hi, Eclipse is one of the best IDEs, but Netbeans has also most if not all the features one normally needs and I am used to it. If you want you can of course stay with Eclipse and setup a new project importing the sources. Important are only the two libraries XOM and kryonet and Java 7 as target.

As for the global libraries in Netbeans you have to go to Project properties (right click on project), Libraries (choose Compile, so you they are included always) and Add Library. That should immediately solve all problems. I think the recipe above was not clear at this point and I changed it.

Alternatively you could also add XOM and kryonet as dependencies in Project properties/Libraries directly and not going via global libraries first but that has one disadvantage: NetBeans currently only allows to specify Javadoc URLs when using global libraries.

P.S.: I also added a snapshot of the actual game data in case somebody doesn't want to use drop box.
Trilarion
Founder

Once the project compiles...

Post by Trilarion »

...there will probably be still many questions. I am aware that the code is not so well documented as it could be. Working alone until now I didn't need to document features that are anyway likely to change but collaborating I probably need to have higher standards. I guess the best thing is to discuss everything. The code is not self-explaining but I am. :)
Trilarion
Founder

Setup simplified

Post by Trilarion »

I considerably simplified the "Getting Started" step in order ot facilitate contributions from others.
  • Included the external library I used to put generic stuff inside. Means all in one repository.
  • Put libraries back into the project properties as local libraries although this means NetBeans cannot have URLs as javadoc/sources. :( But now you don't have to worry about the libraries.
  • The data folder is now zipped daily in my dropbox folder and can be downloaded easier.
This way I hope I made the setup as simple as possible and new interested coders will find themselves getting started in almost no time at all.
Trilarion
Founder

Current configuration

Post by Trilarion »

Just for fun if someone wants to know on which versions I run and programm the game currently:

Python: Python 3.4.0 64 bit, PySide 1.2.2 64 bit for Python 3.4, Markdown 2.5.1, cx_Freeze 4.3.2
IDE: PyCharm Community 3.4