Minor issues / discussions

Discussion of ongoing programming work.
Forum rules
Posted relevant content can be used under GPL or GFDL (http://www.gnu.org/) for the project. Thanks!
Trilarion
Founder

Minor issues / discussions

Post by Trilarion »

Also here we'll need a small questions thread. The virtual coffee corner.
Trilarion
Founder

Full screen exclusive or resizable

Post by Trilarion »

So there is a minor question bugging me right now and I thought this is the perfect place to drop it and maybe collect some opinions.
Should our game app be full screen or not?
For Windows I would have said yes instantly, but for Ubuntu the various bars on the screen corners seem to be integral part of the design and kind of always displayed. Most programs I started keep them, even if they are maximized. I didn't try with games though. We probably should make it optional and see what users like most. The game is not graphically demanding so that we need the additional performance of fullscreen exclusive mode. However it already needs 30MB of heap just displaying a map and a start screen. Java/Swing is not really resource efficient.
Veneteaou

Post by Veneteaou »

Give players the option. I play everything in full-screen mode, but I know people who need windowed mode or they go crazy. As for resource management, it's a turn-based 2D strategy game: if there are no memory leaks or system-crashing issues, it will be fine.
Trapets

Post by Trapets »

The option to choose between fullscreen or windowed is good thing.
When playing solo-singelplayer i mainly prefer to play fullscreen mode - to delve into the game, nothing distract then, but some times is necessity to play windowed. In multyplayer mode is good to play windowed, you can surf, make write docs, work etc. while you wait for other players making their moves.
amtyurin

Re: Minor issues / discussions

Post by amtyurin »

Question: how can we find capital of some nation? is there any coords (row, column) specified in server scenario?
Trilarion
Founder

Post by Trilarion »

The capital is a nation-property. base/constants/NationProperty/Capital-Province is the nation-property key and the value is the id of the province that is the capital province for that nation.

The location of the town in a province is a province-property with key base/constants/ProvinceProperty/Town-Location.

The location of the town of the capital province is the position of the capital.
amtyurin

Post by amtyurin »

Gotcha, thanks! I was able to get it