Minor issues / discussions

Discussion on game mechanics, balancing etc.
Forum rules
Posted relevant content can be used under GPL or GFDL (http://www.gnu.org/) for the project. Thanks!
Trilarion
Founder

Minor issues / discussions

Post by Trilarion »

Place for putting all questions that do not seem to deserve a whole topic on its own.
ForFunAndProfit

Re: Small questions

Post by ForFunAndProfit »

What years will this idea run between? 1814 seems to be the earliest date seen. What would the latest date be? This could tell us a whole lot.
Veneteaou

Post by Veneteaou »

When I did historical research for the Imperialist remake team, I found it difficult if not impossible to make sense of an Imperialism-type game with technology moving past 1920 or so. I think we, like the original, chose to cap it for that project at 1915.

I don't recall what Trilarion's goals were.
Trilarion
Founder

Post by Trilarion »

Something like this 1814-1914. The world changed to much after that. Basically I could imagine a "World War I" like ending of this game but being a strategy such an ending could come earlier or later than in our history. One of the main critics points of fans of the original Imperialism was the hardcoded end at a certain date. There are always people who want to play longer.

So, technology and historical immersion wise the game will end at 1915 or 1918. But I guess the player should be given the opportunity to play as long as he/she wishes.
ForFunAndProfit

That could allow others to also expand on the game and add new modules, I suppose if that is possible. That and we could play with what the lower and upper limit of technologies are.
Trilarion
Founder

Post by Trilarion »

That's true. A modification could explore totally different eras, like from ancient Rome to post WW II. We are free to go everywhere, once we are more advanced.
ForFunAndProfit

Re:

Trilarion wrote:That's true. A modification could explore totally different eras, like from ancient Rome to post WW II. We are free to go everywhere, once we are more advanced.
I had an idea a while ago that the game could run up until the 1956 Suez Canal crisis, as that is considered the sort of end-date of old-style imperialism because of Great Britain's end as a superpower, and the political victory of both Egypt and the Soviet Union during the conflict. After that it's all downhill with decolonization and things of that sort from the perspective of former imperial powers.
Made sense as a good stopping date to me.

However I do like the above ideas to allow modules to the game to be added on for different eras or at the very least to change some of the game parameters to be more flexible.

Question is: Is that logical?
Trilarion
Founder

Post by Trilarion »

The game will be flexible to some extends that most (all) parameters will be softcoded and can be changed. However the mechanics (the execution of actions during a turn, the mix, the flavor) cannot be changed. However you mod it, it will remain similar to the original game.
Now the changes after World War I were tremendously. Instead of static trench line warfare there were tanks and finally even an atomic bomb. It will be more difficult to put that all into one game and it will also make it more difficult to learn for players.

I have the feeling that 100 years (1814-1914) are enough to make a very interesting game. Covering industrialization and two world wars and a post world war era seems like a too big scope for a single game. But modules/modifications will be able to extend the time frame for sure. The only question now is, if it would make sense to enlarge the basic game's scope already now. I would advise against, it would increase development time and we would loose the focus of the first 100 years.
Veneteaou

Post by Veneteaou »

I have a question that may or may not be small: are we planning any big changes to the industry screen? I'm gearing up to start drawing resources/materials/goods and I'm wondering if we should have a discussion about each of the big 4 screens before I start drawing.
Trilarion
Founder

Post by Trilarion »

There definitely needs something to be done in this department. I had at least some changes in mind, but didn't really think about the layout. So I opt for having a discussion before starting to draw. In the next days I will provide material for the discussion.