General Settings

Discussion on game mechanics, balancing etc.
Forum rules
Posted relevant content can be used under GPL or GFDL (http://www.gnu.org/) for the project. Thanks!
visitor

Re: II. General Settings

Post by visitor »

Jungle, gold and gems. Yes!

Gold and gems, rich provinces are one of the best reasons to have wars!

I want to see a map that has also Africa on it instead of having only Europe.

"In 1870, 10% of Africa was under European control; by 1914 it was 90%, with only Abyssinia (Ethiopia) and Liberia still independent."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scramble_for_Africa

About the limits on how many nations. Why should there be a limit? Let the scenatio maker decide how many nations he wants to add. If it is technical problem, I use in Java programming Array Lists for these kind of things when I don't know the exact amount of things I need and I don't want to have any limit either.

-----

Edit:

I would also love to see coffee, cocoa, tea, diamonds, and bananas on the game. They could work like the spices worked in Imp2. Ofcourse the transportation screen has some limits how many different resources you can fit in the game, with too many it starts to resemble more like a spreadsheet than game.

Africa and global markets
"Another inducement for imperialism arose from the demand for raw materials unavailable in Europe, especially copper, cotton, rubber, palm oil, cocoa, diamonds, tea, and tin, to which European consumers had grown accustomed and upon which European industry had grown dependent. Additionally, Britain wanted the southern and eastern coasts of Africa for stopover ports on the route to Asia and its empire in India."
Trilarion
Founder

Post by Trilarion »

visitor wrote:...Instead of winning the game, how about we just count the score? There could be different score board for, military dominance and diplomatic / cultural power. For military score you gain one point every turn for every province you control. On diplomatic / cultural score you gain one point for every province (owned or foreign) that actually likes you and is happy.

I know that this is just a game, but lets look at the real world. Has there ever been military victory or cultural victory that made it game over for everyone else? No. Wars can be won, but the situations change. No empire has lasted forever. USA is going down and China might be the next super power.
[...]
So my suggestion is: at least 3 different score boards. (DOMINANCE, DIPLOMACY/CULTURE, FAMILY STASH) It would also be nice that it saved more info in it than just the name and score.
Traditionally games can be won. One reason is that playing time is restricted and the other that gamers want to have a winner, even if it just means having the most points after a certain amount of time or turns. Also the real world is much more complex than even grand strategy games. Just take Civilization. In this game you can actually conquer the whole world and be world leader for a thousand of years. In the real world, see US or UK or China, the nations only kept on top for not more than a couple of hundred years. It's just much more difficult to keep a big empire together in real world than in any strategy computer game.

Players want to conquer the world (or europe or whatever is one the map). Some of them want to conquer all, others are happy with having the biggest share.

So while I strongly advocate for a real winner like when you exceed a certain value in dominance I also would like to have the option to continue playing afterwards or having winners in the three categories you mentioned. It's valuable input and I want to thank you for it.
Trilarion
Founder

Post by Trilarion »

visitor wrote:Jungle, gold and gems. Yes!
Gold and gems, rich provinces are one of the best reasons to have wars!
I want to see a map that has also Africa on it instead of having only Europe.
[...]
I would also love to see coffee, cocoa, tea, diamonds, and bananas on the game. ...
Africa and global markets
"Another inducement for imperialism arose from the demand for raw materials unavailable in Europe ...
You are right about the limits. Certainly there will be a practical limit above which the game becomes difficult to play but I should not try to guess which this should be. It will be completely free. Initially the idea came from having a fixed bit width of nation ids in the save game. Now this was myself standing in the way. On modern computers this is not needed.

I like the idea about Africa very much. Industrialized Europe and resource rich Africa ready to colonize and fight over give a very interesting scenario. But also the original scenario of Imperialism has its values. Why not having both?

It's too early to say how it will feel exactly. We need to progress more on all aspects to be able to make definite decisions. However you are welcome to deliver any kind of more specific ideas (maybe even more complete and detailed models how everything should work)!
visitor

Post by visitor »

Yes, having both scenarios is what I was thinking about.

It might be easier to get into the game with only the European map, but we veterans probably want something bigger. There could maybe be some achievement bonus for making the coast to coast railway in Africa? Maybe small video or picture and statue in the capital. I think this was the goal of the British Empire (rails from North coast to South coast). It could even be optional scenario win condition, which could be more peaceful than steam rolling over the whole Europe?

My reason to post that was, so when making the code, one should not make too rough limits, so scenario makers can make big enough maps that can have Africa in it too, maybe even the whole world map? Though it might make the AI coding more harder and complex?

This might also require having some low level techs for the less developed countries and for their military units?
Trilarion
Founder

Post by Trilarion »

I agree with all of this. Currently the only feasible inbuilt limits are how much fits into the memory. :)