Promoting the project

Anything related or not related to the project.
Trilarion
Founder

Promoting the project

Post by Trilarion »

Well, the aim is clear. We need to attract many fans of the original game or turn based strategy in general. Also programmers, graphics artists and musicians. All willing to support this project in order to really make it work.

Overview of important sites for this project and where it is mentioned:

Projectpages (we have full control over)
  • Front page/Project start is the blog at remake.twelvepm.de - the place to find news and actual download links
  • Community center is this forum - it coordinates development and provides support for the game
  • Back end for source repository and download space is the google code project page
  • Artwork repository is a shared Dropbox folder
  • Simple Task board/Road map overview are the shared Workflowy pages (follow links in the header line of this forum)
  • Nerdy source code analysis sites: Ohloh and Freecode (inactive)
External sites Download-Counts
Java version
  • 0.1.0 - 230 downloads in 2 months
  • 0.1.1 - 300 downloads in 2 months
  • 0.1.2 - 380 downloads in 2 months
  • 0.1.3 - 320 downloads in 2 months
  • 0.1.4 - 2540 downloads in 14 months
Python version
  • 0.2.0 - 1120 downloads in 7 months
Robin Patterson

Re: Promoting the project

Post by Robin Patterson »

As Jan already knows, I've started a Wikia wiki called "Imperialism Game Wiki". I'm in the process of adding a link or two to this project. See http://imperialism.wikia.com/wiki/Game_ ... rnal_links

:)
Trilarion
Founder

Post by Trilarion »

Jan, that would be me.

Thanks for the links. I will also use the wiki as source of information.
Haxaco

Post by Haxaco »

Well, there's the IMP list and the Imperialist Forum, ofcourse the last has seen (several?) stranded remake projects.

I guess we could post threads in fan forums of Civilization (civfanatics), Paradox, Total War, etc. to attract more people?
Trilarion
Founder

Post by Trilarion »

Haxaco wrote:Well, there's the IMP list and the Imperialist Forum, ofcourse the last has seen (several?) stranded remake projects.

I guess we could post threads in fan forums of Civilization (civfanatics), Paradox, Total War, etc. to attract more people?
You are absolutely right. I guess I will soon make an announcement in these forums, to attract more people.

The best is whenever anyone opens a thread somewhere else about this remake or discovers a new discussion, just repost it here too, so we can monitor them and feed them with news or answer questions...
Veneteaou

Post by Veneteaou »

As soon as I get some basic artwork together, I can use Gimp to build some mockup screenshots. I'm working on some video editing stuff for a non-profit so perhaps I throw some images into a video with music... I think that might do the trick as well. People want to see progress, as all of the failed attempts in the past have been all talk and literally nothing to show for it.
Trilarion
Founder

Post by Trilarion »

I would like to have a video, something like a trailer that is played at start time of the game and that we can show. This is definitely worth it. Thanks for the offer to do something Ven.
Trilarion
Founder

A possible Kickstarter

Post by Trilarion »

Just drop one more idea here:

When the time comes and the project is somewhat mature, maybe even playable to a certain extent, we might want to think about starting a Kickstarter project. It's a great way for fans to connect to developers directly and finance them. A little financing (out of the blue I would think about 2000$) can help us, getting a more decent art style and getting other things done faster. In the simplest case it motivates us (because less worries about who pays the bills) or we can buy external help that we ourselves are unable to provide.

But what can we offer since the game will be open source anyway? Well, we as creators can give them the opportunity to have an impact on the game content (get a general named after you, ...) or we could make a special event concept art booklet or just promise to have feature X (similar to stretch goals now) implemented within a certain duration. Even just saying that we need to money for some parts (like a complete graphics set or whatever) could make strategy gaming fans willing to donate. Finally we would include all backers in the official credits.

Something like:
- 8$ - supporter of the project (mentioned in the credits)
- 15$ - serious fan (+concept art booklet)
- 30$ - patron (+minor influence on game)

And I would start with 2000$ and make stretch goals until 5000$.

Okay, dreaming now (small dreams, big dreams?). Long way to go still.
Trilarion
Founder

Updated the links

Post by Trilarion »

.. in the first post to have a better overview where we are linked from. I only included the places I know of.

Now with version 0.1.0 out I want to have more people to know about the project. However this is not easy. The yahoo Imp_List group is not accepting applications for the group anymore and civfanatics for example seems to not willing to have a thread about it yet. I agree that our project is not yet worth a lot of attention, but just a small thread, just a chance to introduce it, that's all I ask for. Anyway this just means I will continue with advertising it.
Trilarion
Founder

Yahoo groups awfully slow

Post by Trilarion »

I wanted to post a message on the Imp_List group on Yahoo these days but the page loads not under five minutes and every attempt to post is answered by a time out. They had some maintenance and it seems they didn't recover yet or possibly worsened performance. They produce bad publicity on their own.

Well, so I cannot answer the question that someone asked about the current state of remake attempts... I will post as soon as I can.