Naming - Part two

Anything related or not related to the project.
Trilarion
Founder

Re: Naming - Part two

Post by Trilarion »

eazrael wrote:Hey, cool project. The game has been a candidate for reimplementation for quite some time.

My proposal: Simple, plain "Open Imperialism".
Hi, welcome and thanks for proposing a name. It will be included in the vote. I personally like the more specific names better but we'll just see what happens in the end.
Creator

Post by Creator »

Imperia Domini: Road to an Empire.

I like that one. It sounds good and if we ever need to we can use the shorter Imperia Domini
Trilarion
Founder

Post by Trilarion »

But what does Imperia Domini mean or want to suggest? Imperial domination or Empirical doms or ...
Road to an Empire could be a good subtitle.
Creator

Post by Creator »

yes I know. I agree with the longer name but if we did choose it and ever needed to just use a shortened version of the name then we can just use that. Thats all I meant
koenp

Post by koenp »

Trilarion wrote:But what does Imperia Domini mean or want to suggest?
My guess would be something along the lines of "empires of our Lord". The reason I think that is because it's similar to what "AD" stands for: Anno Domini, which is commonly translated as "in the Year of our Lord". I'm not a latinist, so it's really just a guess though.
nonuser

Post by nonuser »

sorry to pipe in out of nowhere but... my (limited) understand of latin is that "Imperia Domini" doesn't actual mean anything (imperia is the PLURAL of imperium - which is rule/govern/etc and domini is the genitive of Dominus - which means the Jewish/Christian 'God') so at best it can be taken to mean 'rules of God' or perhaps 'governments of God' in a bastardization of Latin...

may I suggest - Dominatum! - which is Latin for 'to dominate' (in this accusative or imperative form it means 'we/you should dominate!' )

or perhaps 'INPERIUM dominatum' - which could be construed to mean 'empire's domination' or 'domination of empires'...

that's if you wanted to go with the latin thing. i haven't played the new game (only the old offline one) so I'm not sure how it's different but if you wanted something really simple why not call it I2

just a couple of thoughts
Trilarion
Founder

Post by Trilarion »

Hi nonuser, sorry for not realizing earlier that there are non-approved non-member posts. Your suggestion is still valuable and might be considered in a later discussion of the name. 'Imperium dominatum' sounds good, although at the time that this game plays latin was not really an important language anymore... so it might be misleading a bit and more fitting to a game playing around year 0. I2 would simply be too simple for me. People wouldn't remember anything about it.
Willem

Post by Willem »

Hi Trilarion,

besides a big congrats with the project, has the name already been selected?
Veneteaou

Post by Veneteaou »

Not that I'm aware of.
Trilarion
Founder

Post by Trilarion »

Sorry guys, the last attempt I stopped at the end because I realized for a good stasticial decision one needs more votes and members. I will continue and once the game plays better there will be more interested people and then a decision is meaningful, not before. However the promising candidates of the names found here will not be forgotten. They will be for sure candidates in the next naming contest.

Btw. Willem do you have a suggestion for the name?